Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
'91 V6 5sp 4WD Xtra Cab
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the new Marlin Crawler shifter seat and socket in my '91 4x4 today. I installed these because I was having a tough time finding reverse. It was a surprisingly easy installation. I really took my time- removed the passenger seat, and was able to remove the carpet sufficiently to remove the shift boots. The shifter was a breeze to remove, and I was surprised to find the shifter seat and socket in good condition. Installed the new parts, and took it out for a drive. All the forward gears work great, but I still have a heck of a time finding reverse. What gives?

Chief

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
Ahh, maybe the problem is in the transmission, not the shifter.

·
'91 V6 5sp 4WD Xtra Cab
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll change the lube next. The PO is the original owner, and a friend of mine. He never had a problem finding reverse. Truck has 100k, and is really pristine- maybe it's just me!

·
Registered
HiluxSupraISF
4,529 Posts
I drove my first manual today, it was one of those older Chevrolet Astro's. V6 manual, it was pretty easy to start off and go, i didn't stall once, but finding 1st gear was horrible!

How long have you driven the truck?

·
'91 V6 5sp 4WD Xtra Cab
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had it that long, and it's not my daily driver, I've driven it maybe 100 miles, but I've been driving manual trans. for 35 years, so that's nothing new. I can only seem to find reverse about one every 10 tries, and that's usually after engaging a forward gear and going directly back to reverse.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Perhaps it's just the way the R150F shifts - like a truck. Mine has always been a bit tough to shift into reverse, but I'm so used to it now I have the technique down and it's second nature. (And when needed, popping briefly into a forward gear is part of that technique. :D )

I had hopes that when I finally install my new Marlin shifter seat bushings that it would help getting into reverse. Maybe it will - I guess I'll find out - but your experience suggests that it might not.

Still, could be worse. It could shift like the late 50s International R185 Dump Truck I drove in the late 70s. :lol:

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
... I can only seem to find reverse about one every 10 tries, and that's usually after engaging a forward gear and going directly back to reverse.

I had that problem with the G52 trans I had in my 84, it was old and worn.
I found a newer W56 and stuck it in.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have recently ordered the Marlin seat and socket. I am hoping it will remedy the pop out of first problem that occurs 70% of the time. Anyone have a similar situation fixed by this?
BTW Reverse on my 93 is "finicky" at times. Usually I use the previously mentioned forward gear to rev strategy which seems to remedy it almost every time.

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
Perhaps it's just the way the R150F shifts - like a truck. Mine has always been a bit tough to shift into reverse, but I'm so used to it now I have the technique down and it's second nature. (And when needed, popping briefly into a forward gear is part of that technique. :D )

I had hopes that when I finally install my new Marlin shifter seat bushings that it would help getting into reverse. Maybe it will - I guess I'll find out - but your experience suggests that it might not.

Still, could be worse. It could shift like the late 50s International R185 Dump Truck I drove in the late 70s. :lol:
My truck used to be almost impossible to get into reverse, 9x out of 10 you would be in 4th. After my truck was thrashed (by somebody who borrowed it) I lost reverse and 5th. I installed the MC parts and BAM, everything is back! And reverse.. its as easy to find as any other gear.

I still have to pop it in 2nd then into reverse to keep the gears from grinding.

I have recently ordered the Marlin seat and socket. I am hoping it will remedy the pop out of first problem that occurs 70% of the time. Anyone have a similar situation fixed by this?
BTW Reverse on my 93 is "finicky" at times. Usually I use the previously mentioned forward gear to rev strategy which seems to remedy it almost every time.
It should help. Mine does it in drivethru corners... I just keep my hand on the shifter, only takes a second to get to 2nd.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I have my bushings ready and waiting for a moment when my laziness passes, as mentioned, but many folks have reported that bushings help with the popping out of gear problem. I would add a caution that you don't allow any pieces of the original bushing to fall into the tranny when you remove the shifter, as that could prevent the shifter from seating fully.

·
'91 V6 5sp 4WD Xtra Cab
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent 2 hours total at a really slow pace replacing my seat and socket. Most of that time was spent vacuuming the carpet, and poking around the nooks and crannies seeing where things were located and how they were put together. The seat and socket were original w/ 108k miles, and appeared fine. The whole truck is almost like new, as clean underneath as what I would expect in something that's say, 1 year on the road. I got all the service records from the p.o., ( a friend) and the trans oil was changed twice from new, at 50k and 100k,as maintenance, so I'm pretty sure wear isn't a real issue.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Sounds like it's in real nice shape. I'm fairly certain the V6 tranny does not, never did and never will shift as smoothly as the 4 cyl ones, but I noticed that that mine actually got smoother as it approached 200k. I think it just took that long to break it in, lol.

I'm assuming you have Red Line MT-90 or Amsoil MTG in your tranny? Because if you have GL-5 that could be causing your trouble.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Four proven ways to improve shifting:

1) Change the clutch fluid. I use the Toyota Brake fluid available at Toyota dealers for it's superior ability to prevent the internal corrosion that causes master and slave cylinders to fail.

2) Spray all the rubber boots in the whole clutch pedal to transmission mechanism with silicone spray; i.e the cluth master cylinder boot under the dash, the boot going into the transmission and boot at the slave cyliinder

3) Be sure the clutch pedal height and master cylinder push rod play is adjusted to factory specs.

4) This could be the most important item of all: Use a dedicated GL-4 gear lubricant (not GL-5) like StaLube, Pennzoil GL-4 gear lubricant or Redline MT-90. Some synthetic gear lubes like Mobil 1 gear lubricant make shifting WORSE, not better.

Maybe the previous owner used Mobil 1 or some other GL-5 gear lube which made shifting notchy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts