Toyota Nation Forum banner

Shifting trouble after new clutch- 95 manual

620 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Silent Runner 
#1 ·
I just had a new clutch put in and it is shifting funny. Before the clutch- I had trouble going into 1st and reverse quite a bit, 2nd sometimes gave me grief. Car has just over 200,000 miles. Now I can shift but its not right- in order to go from 1st to 2nd I have to go into neutral in between- cannot go straight from 1st to 2nd. Also- when it is in 1st or 2nd the shifter moves out of place (before it stayed/looked like it was in the right gear) when I let go of the shifter- way too much play? Any advice would be amazing! Do I need to replace the shifter bushing? Or is this a slave cylinder problem? My mechanic is not super experienced.

#2 ·
Double check the install as far as engine mount and engine/transmission position. Check the linkages and see if the position of the transmission somehow causes pull on the linkages. Sounds like there's some positioning problem. Of course there may also be issues with the synchros.

If the clutch starts to engage with the pedal at about the mid point then that part should be in the ball park.

Have you drained/replaced the transmission fluid? I'd use Toyota fluid just in csae, because you're having problems. Otherwise Redline from Pep Boys should work fine. What happens is some owners put differential oils with friction modifiers in there, gradually killing the synchros.

Also consider taking it to a reputable transmission shop.

#3 ·
I am not sure if the trani fluid has been done- I have had the car for two and a half years now and the owner before me barely did anything to it. Now I just need to find someone that can translate what you said into Spanish! My mechanic is young and also almost all Spanish speaking so it has been interesting. The shop I was taking it to was just ripping me off rather than being honest. I miss my mechanic down in California. I did read a little about the synchros- I wish I knew my own car better! Are you saying that maybe when my mechanic put the trani back he may have not placed it right? My old mechanic mentioned the linkages also when I told him. Thanks for your help!

#4 ·
You should take the car back to the guys that did the work, and have them check the linkage assembly for proper installation or damage from the removal/install process. Also look into whether the clutch freeplay adjustment has been properly reset. My clutch, apparently replaced recently, engages pretty low in the clutch travel. If your clutch freeplay has been left in the same position as an old, worn out clutch, you may have issues fully dis-engaging the clutch to get get clean shifts.

Also, yes there are linkage parts and kits, to maintain shift location and feel in the manual tranmission. I'm new to this myself, so I haven't done any looking into this (my car shifts very nicely) yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.