Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

my rear passenger side shock absorber is making noise.
Do i have to change both rear shock absorber?

thanks in advance

and something came out of there like big spongy O_ring

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Hi

my rear passenger side shock absorber is making noise.
Do i have to change both rear shock absorber?

thanks in advance

Check to see if you have fluid leaking before you replace them. Could be something simple like a strut mount making noise. :thumbsup:

You Do not have to change both rear absorbers, but its usually a good idea, because if one is softer than the other your ride quality will be weird.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
No fluid leak.i think these shock absorber is filled with gas not oil.
i will check strut mount tomorrow.
What I like to do is grab the rear of the car and lift it up and set it down a couple times to see if I hear any noises.

You could try the push trunk test too, but I'm not sure how good that test is. You push the trunk down quickly and let go and watch to see how many times it bounces. If it keeps bouncing a few times your struts are probably bad or wore out. If it bounces down then stops back at normal location they are probably fine.

---

that big spongy O-Ring is supposed to help if your shocks bottom out so you dont damage the shock absorber.

That Suspension support (Strut Mount) Is what makes noise 90% of the time.

·
Default User Title
Camry GEN 3
768 Posts
You sure its your strut? Could be your rear sway bar bushing... If you were sure its the strut, I would check the torque on the mounts and make sure the insulators are in place so that there is no metal to metal contact. Maybe the spongy o-ring was the insulator? or maybe it was a broken boot?

Reactions: AliRazoR

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Spongy orange thing? It's the bump stop (labeled as the spring bumper in the pic).

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
as you can see spring bumper is divide into 5 part,only one part of that came out.
The whole bump stop needs to be replaced then. It's supposed to be one piece with 5 little sections... all connected together.

·
Administrator
14,513 Posts
No fluid leak.i think these shock absorber is filled with gas not oil.
Ali - Gas filled shocks/struts still have oil in them.

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one more question,i want to remove shock absorber from the car and check where the problem is,then connect it again in order to buy proper part for it.Do i have to align the wheels after this job?

·
Administrator
14,513 Posts
one more question,i want to remove shock absorber from the car and check where the problem is,then connect it again in order to buy proper part for it.Do i have to align the wheels after this job?
It is strongly recommended.

·
Administrator
14,513 Posts
Mine's at a Brakes Plus shop right now getting it done. $43 with the on-line coupon, regularly $48.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Just get in alignment plan. I have a 3-year transferable one at Merchants Tire. I could go in for an alignment every day if I wanted. ~$200.

·
イリジウム
13,506 Posts
You shouldn't need one for the rears.

Before you buy the parts, price out the complete assemblies (all new mount, boot, rubber seat, spring, and strut).

Monroe has them for about $128+shipping. Lifetime guarantee I believe:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=951475

KYB lists only the fronts, not the rear assemblies.

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That Suspension support (Strut Mount) Is what makes noise 90% of the time.
you were right,the problem was suspension support.i tried to remove the shock absorber from the car today but failed:headbang:.
the two bolt at the bottom of shock absorber....i could not loosen them(19 mm).i used wd_40,no result.:facepalm:

·
Default User Title
Camry GEN 3
768 Posts
Try getting a breaker bar so you have more torque and spray PB blaster on the bolts if you have crap on the bolts. Its stronger than WD-40. If you spray, you should also wait an hour or so before having a go at it.
you were right,the problem was suspension support.i tried to remove the shock absorber from the car today but failed:headbang:.
the two bolt at the bottom of shock absorber....i could not loosen them(19 mm).i used wd_40,no result.:facepalm:

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no crap,no rust.like new bolts and nuts.
the problem is,no enough space.i used pipe at the end of ratchet but i bend my ratchet and then gave up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts