Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As Winter approaches I think this year I'll have to fix a problem that began to happen LAST Winter. The rear driver's side of my 1991 COROLLA, either the shock or the strut freezes up in freezing weather. The effect is that there is no suspension back there, it's like riding a go-kart or something, every minor bump in the road makes the car slam at the back wheel well. Very annoying at the least, dangerous at the worst. In coldest weather you can hear my car banging it's way down the road, I was told.

I wonder if anybody here has had a shock or strut freeze up on them? I'm told there is a fluid in shocks that can freeze. My car is a 1991 Corolla and the shocks/struts have to be ancient. I'm hoping I can have only this one shock or strut replaced, as the others are ok. I am unemployed, so I simply don't have the money to replace them all, every dollar is pretty crucial to me until I can find another job.

I'm a car idiot, my car has both shocks and struts, right? Can I tell which is frozen myself, so the mechanic won't be able to tell me otherwise? Has anybody here ever had this problem with their car?

Thanks in advance, I'm expecting a cold winter, and I'm afraid I'll have to fix this problem before trying to make it through another cold spell.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
shocks and struts as far as this thread is concerned are the same thing.

the only fluid that is in your struts is oil that won't freeze. the most likely things is that your struts are completely dead and water has gotten into them which freezes.

you really shouldn't just change 1 corner of the car, you should change both the rear struts at the same time or it'll do scary things to the handling.

you can get KYB GR-2 struts for pretty cheap on ebay. getting them installed would be the expensive part. I would get a quote from several different places first.

struts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

1 - 3 of 3 Posts