Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've had my car for about 8 months and, since I've had it, the struts or shocks have been noisy over bumps, around turns, etc. (Perhaps in a related note, the shocks are soft; the car rocks around turns and gives largely over bumps.)

The guy from whom I bought it said that the struts needed lubricated and then when I had a mechanic look at it in June, he said that struts didn't get lubricated.... Not being the kind of car geek I'd like to be, can anyone shed some light on what the problem might be and whether anything might need to be replaced? (Of course, pending approval from the trusty mechanic.)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
90 Camry? Your trusty mechanic should tell you that your shocks are shot, your bushings are rotted out rubber and to save up about $800 to get it all replaced. Throw in some springs and maybe a rear swaybar while you are there. It'll run much better after. Get an alignment after too....m'kay?

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
You can just replace your struts, springs and strut mount bushings yourself for a helluva lot less than $800. It's fairly easy so long as you have access to a spring compressor and are somewhat mechanically inclined. Expect the job to take around 4 hours w/o the help of a buddy or 2. I'd recommend some KYB GR-2 struts, Intrax springs, and a Whiteline rear sway bar. The whole shebang should run you around $500-650. The handling difference will be montsrous and your car will feel far sexier in comparison. Think Aria Giovanni v. worn out bag lady.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts