Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking of ways to block the engine heat to get into the intake, heres what i had in mind, heres a pic of it without my cheap chincy rubbermade heatshield.

the material i had in mind, was the kind that looks kinda like tin foil, but is like 1 inch thick, and it could stand upto 3000 degrees or something, any places i can find material like that? i want it to fit between that block box thing and the battery, and go all the back to the horn i geuss. i would cut it out to fit, and for when i close the hood, to contour to the top of the underpart of the hood.... i have nothing else better to do, so why not? thanks for any help.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
Might want to checkout my TB Coolant bypass thread.

Either way though, a short RAM will be sucking up hot air, it's sucking up air from the engine bay.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm gonna go down to the store and get something to insulate that, but thats when i go down to the store :confused:.... how do i go about making a cold air intake? i saw someone on this forum that got a custom made cai, made out of some black plastic. but the thing is, the only thing i dont like about it, is the filter would be behind the lower part of the bumper, and too much water can get down there.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or should i just bolt on the stock intake with its nice resinator back on there, then install a k&n air filter with a tornado?

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
MadDawg said:
or should i just bolt on the stock intake with its nice resinator back on there, then install a k&n air filter with a tornado?
tornado????? :hammer:

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
It's the little fan thing that they sell to people who are stupid enough to buy them :lol: It doesn't work.

·
A Poor College Student
1994 Camry Sedan LE
354 Posts
I've got a SRI and have considered this heat issue as well... You could try cleaning the intake pipe and spraying it with heat-resistent paint (the kind you spray on brakes). Or wrap it with something. You can also get a Ractive heat shield filter. But since it doesn't really bother me much, I haven't done anything about it.:D CAI is also a better option...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
btw, that picture was taken AS SOON as i installed it. which was 3 weeks ago. its much cleaner now and it has coolant now.

and the topic of the tornado, all i can say is that it works for certain cars. ive had much success with it, untill recently on my moms 02 mercedes benz ml320, the tornado was great, gas mileage was 2mpg better than stock, but the computer and fuel injectors were miss firing, really BAD..... i took the tornado out, sure enough, gas mileage at 14mpg from 16-7mpg.

i had the dealership re do the computer, throttle cable, but ofcourse they didnt check the fuel injectors, cause ford owns the dealership, yet we can only take it to that damn dealership.

the tornado seems to be causing the car to screwup, cause its all computer controlled, i should have left it in there, and had the dealership redo the computer settings so it will work with the tornado, but it would void the warranty (even tho under a law that was passed in 1975, a dealership cant void your warranty if you have an aftermarket device in the car).

and other success i installed it on a 1997 C230, gas mileage went from 28mpg to 33mpg on freeway. and rpm went from 5500rpm, to 6500rpm.

but i guess it works on certain cars.

back to story, i was gonna go down to the plumbing store today, but i had my dumb nephew with me, (3 years old), it wouldnt have been worth bringing him in there, i was gonna buy some insulation ducting, the stuff you wrap around copper pipes under your house i guess.... any other store bought insulation ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts