Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,564 Posts
make sure the maf sensor is the same size is one step is checking compatibility :)

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Super Kaioken said:
make sure the maf sensor is the same size is one step is checking compatibility :)
i keep going back and forth from the pics and i see a few differences. i think that the solara intake is a diff shape. i also neglected to see that the tubes are different bends.

i think im going to go with the k&N setup

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
You see how many tubes are coming out of your stock filter ram/box?

Make sure you know to have that many places to plug things back in or you will run into trouble.

I recommend doing a search as there have been so many recent posts on SRI's etc in the past month or two.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Its not a K&N SRI. Its just an aluminum ebay intake with a K&N filter. bigdaddymike745 just installed one and got a check engine light. Miltdoggie has used 2 in the past and got check engine lights from both.

The Solara one is not for the same engine. If you look, its for the 1999-2001 Solara, which is the 5SFE engine. You have the 2AZ-FE.

Also, to get the check engine light off, you have to reset it after reading the code that its throwing at you, which is probably that the system is running too lean or something. It won't just go off on its own.

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok. i think i might try the ebay one that is for my motor and car. my friend has a obdII code reader. If i clear the code and it doesnt come back is it all set? today i had the MAF unplugged on accident when i was making my custom SRI and the light came on and it ran like shit. so now that i plugged it in it runs like a raped ape but the light it on.

also what are some other good places to get a SRI? id like to spend under $125. im kinda low on dough

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
For $125, you're pretty much going to have to settle for an ebay intake. The only other good one made for our engine is the Injen intake, which cost me about $220 shipped.

Yeah, once you clear the code, you should be ok. The code probably popped up because the MAF was outside of the intake.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
well if that ebay one has a real K&N then u can go for that. I say the gen 5 camry's have had issues with the sri's more than the gen 4's. THe gen 5's seem to get the CEL constantly even after resetting while gen 4's either get them once or they dont get them at all.

GOod luck and have fun experimenting.

·
Import Fire Fighter
'02 'Yota camry
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the input guys. today on my way back home from Votech the check eng light went off. so either the car decided to be my friend or the light went out. lol

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
Very good to hear it's working now!

Well perhaps your ECU decided to adjust itself to compensate for the increased air. I know the sound of my SRI decreased as my computer adjusted for the increase in airflow.

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
im guessing the inner pipe diameter where the sensor is plugged in is different so the reading is going to be different. kinda like removing the restrictor from hotwire type meters, it throw off the reading because its no longer the right size pipe.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
^Doing that would be the same thing as just getting a drop-in filter. It wouldn't add anything to your car.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
taking the box off and just slaping a filter on the existing piping would not help and it definately would cause a check engine light.

Sorry if what you meant was what whitechocolate was talking abut but i percieve what you're saying differently.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
^:lol: Basically, but no need to apologize. :)

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
guh everytime i see ur car i love it, but i totally wanna steal ur rims...or any is 300 rims for that matter...

·
Registered
145 Posts
i just put mine from ebay is sri with k&n filter!! i love it. just wondering if this normal that when i start my car in the morning when engine is cold sound like hollow pssssssss like turbo blower but after i drove it and get warmer the sound is gone!! is this normal ???
thanks

·
BigDaddyMike
05 Toyota Camry STIK
284 Posts
Hey guys. i have found the problem with my check engine light. i think i got rid of it for good. YYYYYYYYEYYYYYYYYYYYY. So what u have to do is pplace the hose to the second vacum line and create a loop with the other one. it will create a seal proof vacum i dont kno exactly how to explain it but can post some pics tomorrow if yall want. but the thuing is that the new intake is exactly like the ingen one. and the check engine light is gone now

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
2000LEV6 said:
i just put mine from ebay is sri with k&n filter!! i love it. just wondering if this normal that when i start my car in the morning when engine is cold sound like hollow pssssssss like turbo blower but after i drove it and get warmer the sound is gone!! is this normal ???
thanks

Perfectly normal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts