Toyota Nation Forum banner

Should Cameras Replace Car Mirrors? U.S. Regulators Want to Know

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  OleAvalon 
#1 · (Edited)

"Drivers in the U.S. may one day no longer have to crane their necks to check their blind spots if regulators agree to let high-tech cameras and screens replace the humble side-view mirror.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said in a notice on Wednesday that is is seeking public and industry input on whether to allow so-called camera monitoring systems to replace rear- and side-view mirrors mandated by a longstanding U.S. auto safety standard.

Tesla Inc. and the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers in 2014 petitioned the agency to allow cameras to be used in lieu of traditional mirrors, citing improved fuel economy through reduced aerodynamic drag as the primary benefit. Cameras feeding one or more displays inside the car could also improve rear and side visibility, the Auto Alliance has said.

But NHTSA, which has been studying the possibility for more than a decade, says camera monitoring systems may also introduce new safety risks. A five-year agency study of the technology on heavy-duty vehicles found display screens were too bright, making it harder for drivers to see objects on the road ahead.

NHTSA’s 2017 tests of a prototype camera monitoring system found it was “generally usable” in most situations, and produced better-quality images than mirrors at dusk and dawn. It also found potential flaws, including displays that were too bright at night, distorted images and camera lenses that would become obscured by raindrops.

NHTSA said in a notice in the online Federal Register is seeking outside research and data about the potential safety impacts of replacing mirrors with cameras to inform a possible proposal to alter the mirror requirement in the future.

The comment period will be active for 60 days after the notice is formally published in the Federal Register on Thursday. The agency didn’t offer a timeline for a final decision, but changes to auto safety standards typically take years."

See less See more
#2 ·
I get the idea of replacing mirrors with camera's BUT... my thing is not how effective they can be nor how new safety risks can occur. Rather...
  • How much will it cost to replace a camera
  • How much will it cost to replace a display
  • How much will it cost to eventually diagnose why the camera won't work
  • How compatible will each camera and display be with other vehicles
  • How long will these camera's stay in production
  • Can these camera's be upgradable?
  • Can the display be upgradeable?
If we could keep the mirror I would like to... not that anyone uses them... and because a mirror I would assume is much much cheaper than a display and a camera.

I like backup camera's because they are position in a blind spot and they can prevent deaths when reversing. I had installed a cheap one from Wish that doubled as dash cam except it was garbage. I will eventually get one but my main specific requirement for it is that the display needs to be on the rear-view camera because I should not need to look left, right, rear, mirror, and then down to look at a display.

#3 · (Edited)
I recently drove a rental vehicle...a van...that had a rear camera. I guess I'm too steeped "old school" driving because I didn't use the camera and still looked over my shoulder and used my Mark One eyeballs to back out. To each his own I guess, but for me I don't want or need cameras to assist me in changing lanes, backing up, etc. Frankly, I think most "safety features" on cars nowadays are either mostly useless such as folding side mirrors, or else lull many people into laziness and a false sense of security. Research by the U.S. Department of Transportation bears that out: Whenever they removed traffic lights and stop signs from established intersections, accident rates actually decreased significantly because drivers became more vigilant. Imagine that.

#4 ·
"most 'safety features' on cars nowadays are either mostly useless such as folding side mirrors, or else lull many people into laziness and a false sense of security."
Right on! They also add to the sticker price and to insurance rates. And decrease the reliability of the vehicle, especially something like a rear view camera. I prefer a simple, reliable vehicle.

#6 · (Edited)
+1

And it's amazing how quickly people become enamored with "safety features," such that fifteen years ago there were no such thing as side-folding mirrors, and nowadays I've seen many, many times in these forums where not having folding side mirrors was a deal-breaker on the purchase of a new vehicle. Took about a decade to go from they all lived perfectly fine lives without them, to can't live without it today. Imagine that.

#5 ·
Vangm25...about all around cameras. My best guess they would be like one now used for rear view. But, thats one view on one screen. If no L/R side view mirrors, does that mean both show on screen at same time ? Recall rear view cameras will become standard, but forgot when. Many models now come standard with safety features.

My first vehicle with rear view camera. I like it a lot & wide view is really good. Sometimes I can use it without looking around, but others times like parking at mall etc, gotta still do a lot of eye ball lookin around. Had happen couple times, rv camera lense got muddy & no view. Rain drops do cause some loss of view. But, so far my eye sight is still working very good.

FWIW... I still use my inside, side view mirrors & unlike many, still give blinker turn signal. ;) Maybe if new camera views become avail, will help with the awareness epidemic. Notice how many people walking around looking at their hand or its stuck to side of their face. o_O

#11 ·
It's difficult to block the action of photons. You can of course smash a mirror and a mirror's silvering can go bad, but for the most part, mirrors continue to work decades in conjunction with photons thanks to basic laws of physics.

Electronic sensors and circuits... far less reliable. Especially in 10 years.

Reactions: stvotw
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.