Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota 4x4 2.4L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1991 Toyota 4x4 Extra Cab 4 cylinder.
I am changing the back up light switch on the side of the tranny because my 10a fuse for gauges in the fuse box keeps blowing every time I put the truck in reverse. The previous owner did a shotty job of hooking up a trailer harness which I have eliminated and cleaned up. My tail lights work fine (except 1 is sort of dim, but may be discoloring of light) and have checked all the wiring I can see for a broken wire and it all checks out. I am going today to see if power is getting to the plug and then bypassing the switch to see if the reverse lights are getting power. If that works I know it is the back up light switch that needs replacing or am I missing something? Also I tried taking the old switch off and gear oil started pouring out and is that normal or should I jack the truck up on one side so I don't lose any. Thanks for reading.:headbang:

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
If the back up light switch is lower than the fill plug then I would expect some oil to leak out. Have the new part ready to install, pull the old one then quickly put the new one in.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota 4x4 2.4L
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it.

I fixed the problem without even getting a new switch. There is a wire and plug that comes down to the switch on the tranny and it also goes to some other sensor of somekind on the top side of the tranny at the end. there is a plug in between the two and had been pulled loose just enough to not make the connection from stress on the line. I rerouted the line so no stress on the plugs and voila, no more blown fuses and I can see when I'm reversing in the dark.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts