Toyota Nation Forum banner

Which year is the best Gen 7 of these 3 years?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 14.3%

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there everyone. I have not been on the forums in a long time.
I am still happily enjoying my 2009 LE 4 cylinder and it's driving like a gem!
I did have the engine rebuild done for free at Toyota dealership and they also replaced the dash with a new one.

I will be passing down this car to my daughter so she has something very comfy and reliable to drive :)

Having said that....I am looking for another used Camry.

I LOVE the 2018 and 2019 xse models but I don't have the money for those as I will be buying with cash.

So that leaves me to choose a Gen 7...

For some reason I like the "look" of the body shape of the 2012, 2013, 2014 version better than the 2015, 2016, 2017 refresh look.

So my questions to you pros on here:

1. Should I get the 2012, 2013 or the 2014? Is one of those years better than other in terms of "quirks" being worked out etc?

2. What are any known issues with these years in particular that I should look out for when inspecting a used gen 7 Camry?

3. I was think of going with the SE trim but I am open to other trims like the LE or XLE etc. Are there any known issues with certain trims that I should stay away from due to problems?

4. Should I be buying the 4 or the 6 cylinder? Any reasons to choose one over the other besides fuel economy?

5. I will likely be taking meticulous care of the car and keeping it for at least 5-8 years so I want to choose the most reliable model and trim.

Thanks for all your input and opinions!! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally would try to buy the last year of a generation because for Japanese Imports those are generally the best.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing but if I get a great deal on a 2012 or 2103 I may jump on it as well unless there are some known advantages to 2014 specifically due to updates of parts or fixes being done etc to resolve known issues in the 2012 or 2103. So I am trying my best to educate myself on the differences before I buy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you looking for performance or comfort? You mentioned a daughter of driving age and Florida so maybe comfort?
I think both performance and comfort - and also fuel economy.
6 cyclinder would be nice but I am more than happy to drive a 4 cylinder as well with no complaints.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing but if I get a great deal on a 2012 or 2103 I may jump on it as well unless there are some known advantages to 2014 specifically due to updates of parts or fixes being done etc to resolve known issues in the 2012 or 2103. So I am trying my best to educate myself on the differences before I buy.
At a minimum, just don't get the first year of a new gen.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Beware tran/torq converter problem 2012-2014.
Some recall fixes haven't been 100%.

2016-2017 looks better either problems were worked out or too early to tell.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Camry was on the Toyota K platform from 2002 to 2017, so IMHO, it's more a matter of style differences, and equipment/features on particular used car.

·
Banned
716 Posts
i have a 2013 se and have put over 30k on it..now has 87k. and i love the car..zero issues so far. original brakes still on it with plenty left..i did change the plugs just because i wanted to. i also changed the trans fluid at 60k and will do it again at 90k

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
Agree, the 12-14 is the best looking Camry ever. The 2015-17 looks characterless and very generic and Toyota simplified the interior after the restyle.
I voted for 2014, but if you can find a nice well taken care of 2012, you should not be afraid to buy it. I had a 2012 LE, 2013 XLE V6 and my wife drove a 2014 LE for 3 years. The 2012 had some wind noise coming through window channel seal, no such issue on 2013 or 2014.
I know 6 more 2012-14 owners and none of them had issues with tranny and they never went for software update.
My kid drives another 2012 LE with 100K miles and this car still running on original soft.
The V6 makes a lot of difference if you need more that just an "ass mover" :) but it's about 25% less fuel efficient. The V6 models have worse resale and on the used market worth just $700-800 more vs a similarly equipped 2.5 models.
Another option to conciser is a used 12-14 Hybrid Camry: they are barely more expensive than ICE models, as a rule driven more accurately and more economical around town.

·
Registered
51 Posts
'14.5 and up. Rear camera, updated front structure to bring offset collision performance into the 21st century.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
My 2012 se v6 has 105k on it. Only real issue I had was the moonroof creak and my locks malfunctioned(wouldn’t lock/unlock on two diff doors on opposite side of car) intermittently for a while but haven’t had the issue in over a year. No clue why they work fine now but intermittent didn’t work over a year ago :dunno:

Like others said 14.5 has some upgraded safety.

Whatever year, get the v6. Butter smooth effortless acceleration. Mine avg 26-27 normal day to day driving with a heavy foot and has done 35 mpg on hwy trips. Can’t beat those numbers for the power in my opinion. I literally use the v6 power daily to the max when merging onto highways and my mpg readout always stays 26-27.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a 14.5 to get the latest and greatest in the body style you like.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The only thing I wish my '12 had, was the half black door panels! Instead of 90% Cream, on the interior.

I suppose they did update the frame rails in the front in 14.5 - I never knew that.

But the V6 is worth it. The speed (as needed) offsets the price at the pump for me! :D
*also avoiding the TC shudder which is a culprit in 4cyl NON-hybrid cars...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a 2013 se and have put over 30k on it..now has 87k. and i love the car..zero issues so far. original brakes still on it with plenty left..i did change the plugs just because i wanted to. i also changed the trans fluid at 60k and will do it again at 90k
Thanks @molson.david and everyone else who has given input so far!

Have any of you experienced the dreaded problem I read about regarding NASTY mold smell on 2012-2014 Camry models coming out of the AC vents? That sounds disgusting! Is there a 100% known reason why this happens and a 100% fix for it? Breathing in mold is highly problematic even if you somehow rectify the smell issue....

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Thanks @molson.david and everyone else who has given input so far!

Have any of you experienced the dreaded problem I read about regarding NASTY mold smell on 2012-2014 Camry models coming out of the AC vents? That sounds disgusting! Is there a 100% known reason why this happens and a 100% fix for it? Breathing in mold is highly problematic even if you somehow rectify the smell issue....
My 2012 has never had a bad smell

·
Registered
993 Posts
Avoid 2012 - horrendous first year defects like some suffer severe road wander.

2015 on up 4 cylinders have troublefree transmissions, 2012-2014.5 were not troublefree.

2015 on up are more refined in many ways; better weather sealing and structural ridgidity for less road noise, less body vibration, padded upper door panels, scratch proof center console, easier to read and less cheap looking dash controls, etc. etc.

LE's and XLE's will likely be in better mechanical shape because they were not owned and driven by hurried, boy-racer type owners. A senior owned one would be ideal.

4 cyl has lasted 500,000 miles on a dynamometer and is much easier to service than the V6.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts