Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
This is my first post, not sure it is a right forum. If not, please move to appropriate one.

Last 20 years I'm driving only Corollas. Always bought new one. Usually I drive until 350 000 km (220 000 miles) and without any technical problem, only usual maintenance. I'm driving about 160 km per day.

I started to think to upgrade to Camry, but I'm looking for advice. Will Camry be able to match the robustness of Corolla? I don't want to waste my time to do frequent reparations. Anyone have experience with such high mileage?

thanks!
Stephane

·
Registered
542 Posts
Are you talking about a new or used car?
If you're looking for a used one, you can't go wrong with any model camry made before 2007 model year. Personally i'd avoid the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Camry models. These cars were a major redesign and just by looking at a lot of posts on this forum, they have had big problems with the brake systems, the "drive by wire" steering, and several other items. Consumer reports dropped Camry off the "best buys" list for those model years (although the 2010 and newer may be better since they put it back on the list, but thats all i know).

If you intend to buy a used V6 (older then 2007 model year), beware of sludging issues. These were the engines (1FMZE) that were involved in the sludging recall. If they had their oil changed at every 3,000 miles the engines were fine, if the owner ignored the oil changes the engines could be sludged badly.
Personally i own a 2002 V6 with 145,000 miles and it's been the best car i've ever owned.
If you find a decent camry i'd say go ahead and buy it after checking it out, a Camry is usually one of the most reliable used cars you can buy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
94 LE V6 (its 1MF-ZE BTW)....Im rolling 275,xxx miles....ac will still freeze you right out of the car, running great, getting almost 400+ to tank of gas.

I think that should say all you need

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes, I was thinking to buy used car. Only V6 can have high mileage?
No both are fine, depends on the maintenance, i don't think i'd buy any car with say over 150,000 on it unless it were a steal.
anything lower mileage and you should be alright unless the owner never changed the oil (There are many people who don't know or care enough to do this often enough for their car, i've met a lot of people like this).

I've only bought one used car yet (i've owned 10) where anybody had the maintenance records, it was a 1994 Sentra bought from a relative and they had kept it up well. If no one has the maintenance records then that you have to go buy how the engine sounds and what you see, and how it performs.

I would not buy: a car that has engine noise; a salvage title car (too much trouble and you might end up with a car you can't register!); a car that blows smoke.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
First off, I would highly recommend trading up into a Camry from your Corolla. My gf's aunt has an '06 Corolla and the Camry is just so much nicer. Not everyone needs or wants a larger car, or cares much beyond reliability, but the Camry rides nicer, handles better, and feels more solid.

Are you talking about a new or used car?
If you're looking for a used one, you can't go wrong with any model camry made before 2007 model year. Personally i'd avoid the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Camry models. These cars were a major redesign and just by looking at a lot of posts on this forum, they have had big problems with the brake systems, the "drive by wire" steering, and several other items. Consumer reports dropped Camry off the "best buys" list for those model years (although the 2010 and newer may be better since they put it back on the list, but thats all i know).

If you intend to buy a used V6 (older then 2007 model year), beware of sludging issues. These were the engines (1FMZE) that were involved in the sludging recall. If they had their oil changed at every 3,000 miles the engines were fine, if the owner ignored the oil changes the engines could be sludged badly.
Personally i own a 2002 V6 with 145,000 miles and it's been the best car i've ever owned.
If you find a decent camry i'd say go ahead and buy it after checking it out, a Camry is usually one of the most reliable used cars you can buy.
I disagree. The gen 6 has had its share of problems but that's what happens during a complete redesign, though it was worse because Toyota cut costs too much. Plus - most people come on the forums to complain. Not nearly as many will come on here simply to say how much they love their car.

My gf picked up an '09 Camry I4 in June and has put 4K miles on it since then. It's got a few rattles but it is mechanically sound. I am VERY picky but I've driven her car extensively and it handles and drives well. They also improved NVH. I'm impressed. I would and am seriously considering getting into a newer Camry. I'll probably wait til the 2010s hit the market used as I want VSC+TRAC. I'm debating on whether or not to gamble with the new 2.5L I4 because the (now ancient) 2.4L I4 had problems with head bolts stripping with early builds.

I am particularly fond of the gen 5 Camrys (2002-2006) as I own one, and would highly recommend them. If you want an I4, go for 2005 and newer. The V6 is a great engine but if you're looking for economical, labor will always be cheaper on the I4.

We'll see what I end up doing in the next year or two.. I told myself I'd find something more interesting (e.g. not another Camry) but it's got all the features I like and the ride is comfortable. Optiron gauges, auto lights, and a power driver's seat has been standard on the Camry LE for years; it's hard to find some of that on the lower trim models on the Altima, Legacy, and 6!

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
I own three Generation 3 Camrys and every single one is running great.

Bought them all used and they all now have the following mileage:

92 camry LE ( 212k ) new radiator, new main and rod bearings
93 camry DX (290k ) new radiator
95 Camry LE (166K ) bought for $800.00 w/ blown motor $350.00 for new motor with 90k

No real major issues with any of the vehicles besides I've had to replace the main and rod bearings in the one. Oddly enough it was the camry that had the second lowest mileage.

As long as you keep this generation cleaned if you live in an area with snow ( Going to car wash and washing around the wheel wells and underneath ) You will be alright. This generation seems to rust quite a bit. My 93 camry (Beater) Wasn't weatherized or cleaned and now its showing. Both rockers need replaced and the rear quarter needs replaced.

Good ride quality, sound proofing is excellent with windows up, Good speed and acceleration, nice size fuel tank, good gas mileage. All 3 camrys have a 5sfe motor in them.

If you are looking for a reliable, cheap, used camry .. the 3rd or 4th gen will suit you nicely :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts