Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 CE just hit 88,000 miles and the tensioner has looked the same for over a year. No oil stains on the ground or loss of oil. I'm in no hurry. Just wondering. thanks

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
170 Posts
A bit of weeping is no big deal. Leaking is different. Looks fine to me!

Reactions: jsean

·
Registered
618 Posts
if you search the forum, the oring part number is mentioned several times, and isn't expensive. instructions on changing it are shown too. i swapped it out on two cars of mine this last summer along with the valve cover gasket. wasn't very difficult job.. but i don't like motor oil all over the outside of the engine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would clean up the area and monitor.

It does look like the o ring is leaking, but see if it comes back before doing a thing.
Thanks for the replies. I think I may clean / degrease the area and check it on occasion. A few years ago I got the Toyota tensioner on Amazon for $24 just in case. I'm a little nervous about snapping the studs. Although, I understand that it's the o-ring that prevents the leaks and not super tight bolts. When I do change it I will finger tight then snug each bolt down a bit. Not sure I trust my HF torque wrench at 80 inch lbs.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I think I may clean / degrease the area and check it on occasion. A few years ago I got the Toyota tensioner on Amazon for $24 just in case. I'm a little nervous about snapping the studs. Although, I understand that it's the o-ring that prevents the leaks and not super tight bolts. When I do change it I will finger tight then snug each bolt down a bit. Not sure I trust my HF torque wrench at 80 inch lbs.
I snapped my water pump bolts w/ my HF torque wrench set to spec at 80 in. Lbs. After that horror story I went by feel lol tight is tight . Those bolts holding the tensioner are not torqued down super tight, just don't crank it on there and you'll be fine. If your gut tells you it doesn't feel right, stop. Lol

·
Registered
2007 Silver Corolla CE Auto
170 Posts
I snapped my water pump bolts w/ my HF torque wrench set to spec at 80 in. Lbs. After that horror story I went by feel lol tight is tight . Those bolts holding the tensioner are not torqued down super tight, just don't crank it on there and you'll be fine. If your gut tells you it doesn't feel right, stop. Lol
Yeah I hear you about the water pump bolts. I was scared to torque them down to 80 in lbs (6.5 ft lbs) so I just snugged them up and have no issues about them coming loose. I was scared it may strip out the aluminum (as not many threads engaged the aluminum) and not snap the bolts though.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yeah I hear you about the water pump bolts. I was scared to torque them down to 80 in lbs (6.5 ft lbs) so I just snugged them up and have no issues about them coming loose. I was scared it may strip out the aluminum (as not many threads engaged the aluminum) and not snap the bolts though.
that is higher torque than the lug nuts are. i'm 100% sure i have never torqued them down that far on several water pumps i replaced on corolla/matrix engines.. wow. and have never had a leak..

·
Registered
741 Posts
that is higher torque than the lug nuts are. i'm 100% sure i have never torqued them down that far on several water pumps i replaced on corolla/matrix engines.. wow. and have never had a leak..
no it's definitely not... 80 INCH pounds, not foot pounds. the lugnuts are about 70 FOOT pounds IIRC. about 10x as much torque.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
76ft lb for our cars.
80ft lb on most Hondas.

It’s always best to buy a standard 20-150ft lb torque wrench for suspension and wheels.
You do want to splurge more on a small torque wrench to do engine work that require less than 50 ft lbs. The margins on a larger wrench isn’t a big deal, whereas smaller wrench is a huge deal. But this is only if you work on cars often or care about every nut and bolt like I do for my cars, family, and customer cars. So when it comes a second time.. usually it feels like OEM with no overtorqueness. Reduces chances of extra wear on components and just feels right. If you know what I mean Atleast... but; To the point, to spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Corolla S with 240k miles
21 Posts
My picture was the before picture. If you haven't done it yet, it's probably time based on years? not miles as 88k relatively low. You need a deep socket 10. You probably can't see it from the top, maybe from the side. Besides the leak, the tension itself could get weaker. You also need to crank one of the bolts on the serp belt. I used the alternator bolt wiggle back and forth until the tension engaged. To be extra sure, I bump started it a couple of times too.

·
Super Moderator
Various Toyotas
5,500 Posts
My 06 CE just hit 88,000 miles and the tensioner has looked the same for over a year. No oil stains on the ground or loss of oil. I'm in no hurry. Just wondering. thanks
Doesn't look to me like it's leaking. You've got something below leaking, so inspect the power steering system and the front crankshaft seal, along with the timing cover.

What about mine?
Yes, replace the timing chain tensioner o-ring. Get it from your Toyota parts counter. It's super easy doing the job from the engine bay, standing at the passenger side corner or side. The big secret to doing this job is to make sure the bore into which the tensioner inserts and with which the o-ring seals is absolutely clean of any varnish. Use a mirror and a toothbrush with some kind of cleaner, like acetone. Scrub scrub scrub until it's 100% clean. Wipe it off, of course, and use some lube on the o-ring. I still have my original timing chain tensioner at 409K miles. If you still have leaking after that, check the things I mentioned above. If you wind up doing the timing chain cover, that's the perfect time to thoroughly clean the bore into which the timing tensioner inserts.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yeah, I cracked the water pump and timing cover. Which sucked because I had the motor out mainly for the timing cover gasket. I got lucky st the junk yard and since have yet to experience any issues

1 - 18 of 18 Posts