Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I think a slightly pulsating brake pedal is a slightly warped front rotor?

I just took possession of a 1996 Camry with the 4 cylinder engine, drums brakes on the rear.. While doing a longer drive, I noticed that the brake pedal pulsated slightly while braking from highway speed. Based on my general car experience I was first diagnosis that as a slightly warped front rotor, should I think the same issue with this car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the brake pedal and the steering wheel vibrates, then one possible diagnosis would be warped front rotors. I would get them checked out.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are you sure this isn't just normal ABS-braking? Mine do this all the time, '96 Camry.

·
one man crew
94 camry v6 le
39 Posts
my brake pedal vibrated, when we checked what it was, we had a broken brake line, the wheel well was um, splattered with brake fluid all over that wheel well,lol.

well, thats what happened to me, so don't know.

also it sanked after a while of having the brake pedal um, smashed/pressed.
when i would come to a stop after a few seconds the pedal would sink.

·
Registered
6,175 Posts
"I noticed that the brake pedal pulsated slightly while braking from highway speed. Based on my general car experience I was first diagnosis that as a slightly warped front rotor, should I think the same issue with this car."

That is the most common cause. The rear drums can warp too, but that is much less common. The question about the steering wheel vibrating is a good one. Another way to check if it's the front or back is to pull up slowly on the e-brake at highway speeds, and see if you feel the vibration in your hand. Don't do the e-brake test if you don't normally use the e-brake, as it's cable could snap or the e-brake could stick on.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts