Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 60k Toyota Service done last month, and they recommended replacing the battery. I declined, deciding to do it myself if it was needed.

I drive a used 1999 Camry, 60k miles, which appears to still be using the factory battery. It is a Panasonic model with a "Toyota Motor Sales" label on it. It has a charge indicator, which is currently blue, meaning "No charge necessary". A friend tested the voltage and it's a perfect 12.8. A label says it's a maintenance free battery. I haven't had any electrical problems, and I have an aftermarket audio system attached to it.

My only concern then, is that this battery is probably five or six years old. It's still kicking strong though. Should I replace it, or is it probably ok for a while? How long do these things last?

I live in Northern VA which has average temperatures.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,122 Posts
it's going to go soon, that was in my mom's 97camry it died last year, it's been sitting in the garage can barely put out 4v now. or you can drive it around till you need a jump then it's time to get a new one

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
If you are not having any problems with the battery right now jsut let it be. THe first time you have to jump the car off and the lights have not been left on or anything of taht nature then you will want to replace it.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
if you live in humid areas or areas with real cold or real hot temps the battery wont last as long...but typically in the USA batteries last anywhere from 3-6 years...but i can tell you urs is going to be on its way out the door in the next 12 months or so.

·
NIGHT STALKER
98 CAMRY
198 Posts
MortySnerd said:
I had 60k Toyota Service done last month, and they recommended replacing the battery. I declined, deciding to do it myself if it was needed.

I drive a used 1999 Camry, 60k miles, which appears to still be using the factory battery. It is a Panasonic model with a "Toyota Motor Sales" label on it. It has a charge indicator, which is currently blue, meaning "No charge necessary". A friend tested the voltage and it's a perfect 12.8. A label says it's a maintenance free battery. I haven't had any electrical problems, and I have an aftermarket audio system attached to it.

My only concern then, is that this battery is probably five or six years old. It's still kicking strong though. Should I replace it, or is it probably ok for a while? How long do these things last?

I live in Northern VA which has average temperatures.
something you must know. when you take your car to a dealership they always try and trick you into having them fix another problem when theres no problem in the first place. just ignore what he told you because you said your friend tested it and its fine.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
I've been averaging about 6-8 years with mine but I'm in a position to be stranded if one dies. Then I replace it. So IMHO, it depends on the amount of risk you're willing to accept. 4-5 years is probably a good recommendation particularly in cold weather climates. (I have 2 Camrys and a Toy truck.)

·
97 Camry
211 Posts
Nad1370 said:
Rule of thumb.

Batteries should be replaced every 4-5 years regardless of condition. (?????)
Replace it with a known good brand.

I've seen original Batteries lasted 9 yrs. But hey i'ts really your choice.
The last statement is the only sensible comment offered.
Should be replaced ??? Why brains should be replaced but we live with what we've got.
True cold weather can be hard on a battery & freezing with low charge deadly but more dependent on good voltage regulation, quality of original battery , & number of "stupid lights on " till battery dead excursions. If the engine turnover rate goes down but still gets started you are due. Any dealer trying to sell you on the basis of age should be sent to boneyard -- hyped sales cost the uninformed a shitload on car repair
Find a small operator on the basis of reputation with knowledgeable car buffs

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I think you have to ask yourself how long you will be keeping this car. If you are only going to have it another year or so and the battery is testing fine for now, I would just let it go. If you are going to be keeping this car another 4 or 5 years, then I would go ahead and replace it now. You will have to replace it some time during that period, so you might as well replace it now, just for the peace of mind it will bring you. Batteries aren't that expensive.

Just a FYI. Consumer Reports recently rated the batteries sold at WalMart as a best buy. The 24F size for our Camrys sells for $40. I just put one in my wife's 98 XLE. Her battery was fine, but it was going on 8 years old and we plan on keeping this car for a while.

YMMV.

Mike

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Mike Gerber said:
I think you have to ask yourself how long you will be keeping this car. If you are only going to have it another year or so and the battery is testing fine for now, I would just let it go. If you are going to be keeping this car another 4 or 5 years, then I would go ahead and replace it now. You will have to replace it some time during that period, so you might as well replace it now, just for the peace of mind it will bring you. Batteries aren't that expensive.
^^ exactly as i would have put it!

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,304 Posts
I replaced mine and it was showing blue on the indicator, and Toyota also told me at 60k that I should change it, and they wanted to charge me $200 to change, so I declined very quickly. But it was showing blue even though while running, it was only running at 11v. So in the mornings, it would crank real' slow and I had a feeling that I might end up stranded soon, so I just went ahead and changed it. No harm can come from changing it early.

·
Registered
90 Camry Wagon V6
42 Posts
have the battery tested,
volts and amps.
my wifes honda has the original battery, 120k miles, new alternator and 5 yr old

my camry battery looks like crap (sears battery), I am guessing it is 5+ yr old.

the chemical goes bad in side so the amount of charge the battery can hold goes downover time,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.