Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
97 Camry '8ball EDITION'
97 camry, 06 hhr
660 Posts
i did in my gen 4 a long time ago...well 2 out of the last three were synthetic, the other the dealer did when they checked it for sludge when i got my recall papers ;) i personally love it, car runs smoother runs cooler etc, only issue ive had is my worn valve guides smoke a little more often on start up...otherwise its been great. and at a total of 15 bucks an oil change i aint complaining.

·
Registered
480 Posts
High mileage would be better than synthetic with 155k. Today's API SM oil is synthetic blend anyway. Unless you intend on extending drain intervals significantly, the 2-3 x cost is just not worth it. We have used Chevron and Pennzoil for 192,000 sludge-free miles.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think if you live in an extremely hot climate or an extremely cold climate then synthetic might be worth it. Extreme cold starts will hit your engine pretty hard, that's why I switched to synthetic.

Matt

·
97 Camry '8ball EDITION'
97 camry, 06 hhr
660 Posts
no it wasnt rough before, but it accelerates smoother and quicker, the temp stay a little lower, mileage went up a few miles and like i said for 15 bucks a change it was worth it, plus i live south of houston, it gets hot and humid here so good oil keeps an engine happy (also after the mass evacuation a few years ago, ill do whatever i can to help keep my car happy ;) )

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe my switchover was at 342,000 kilometers (approximate). I got a few more leaks but nothing serious. I haven't had to add any since the change and I'm at 345,000 now.

Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.