Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my gen4.5 for about a year now, and I've done lots of stuff to it:
Viper Remote Start, Modded front/rear lights, OEM wood kit, shift knob, shift boot, etc..

I really like it and everything.

Now, my parents are getting a car to replace their 2000 bmw 528i. It has 2 key marks (visible marks, about a foot long each), went through a $9k accident (insurance paid), and with about 50k miles.

I have a chance to inherit that car instead of them selling it. (hand me down) The accident will show on carfax and the key marks we are not doing anything about.

Should I inherit it and sell the camry?
Because I know the accident and scratch marks will seriously hurt the sell value of the car.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
hummm personaly i think it's an awsome traid, but from what i hear bmw's have bad electrical systems (my cuz and few others) so your choice in the end and if you do take it your still wecome here because bmw's are better than hondas!!!! j/k

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They also asked me to recommend an AWD Sedan. They are badge buyers, so there's no way they'd go for a volvo or something like that.

Any suggestions?

·
slowamatic noob
1996 Toyota Camry
3,857 Posts
subaru legacy would suit your parents i guess? :dunno:

is it me or is the new subaru legacy kinda looks like a gen5 camry??? (from the tv commerical)

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
ya the accident could hurt the resale value of the bmw, but it will still be worth much more than the resale on the camry, unless you have to give the money back to you parents if you were to ever sell it.

id go 5series in a second

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
ummm....why would you even have to think so hard about this?

sorry, but despite what you've done to your car, it's still relatively stock.....tho yes, there's sentimental there and everything, but this is a 5 series.....

if it was a 3series, and I had to pick between my car and that, I'd keep my car....but a 5 series?? no contest....

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, it's like this: I bought my gen4.5 with money I earned myself. For me, It's something of a trophy of my hard work. My parents had offered to buy me a new car, but I wouldn't have it. I wanted it to be truly mine, something I worked for and got.

Maybe that sounds stupid to some, but it really means a lot to me. Obviously, the value of the 5 is greater than the camry, but I can't afford to buy it from them, and having it handed to me makes me feel as if I'm dependent on them. I hate that

There's no question the 5 is a sweet car.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
hey, then I'd say you just about earned the 5....as long as it isn't a total hand-me-down, and you gave your parents everything that you have (your camry, or what you can sell it for) then it's just like running across a really good deal and you got REALLY lucky....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you take the Bimmer, sell your car and KEEP the money to pay for repairs.

Also, you can mod the shit out of BMW's...if you have the money.

I assume the BMW is an automatic, is that OK for you?

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Bmers are great cars, They somstimes are plagued with SMALL electirical problems. But over all they are sweet cars. If propertly maintained, that bmer should easily forsee your hands till its 150K miles old..without too many problems. I'd take it hands down...and pay what the camry got for them to put down on a car of their choice. Just one word - don't forget posting here when you got your bmer!

·
So.Cal 99 camry
418 Posts
go for the BMW:thumbsup: ..

that's a great deal, your pretty much gonna sell the camry to pay for the bimmer... so like said before you earned it.. paid for!~ $9000 right?

if there's any left over cash mod the BMW.. done deal.. go for it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would take the beamer and sell the camry. Or maybe even keep the camry as a backup vehicle, assuming it's paid off.

·
So.Cal 99 camry
418 Posts
or if they want something roomy and we talking about porshe's:clap: how about the:

Cayenne Turbo
Front-mounted, 4.5 liters, twin turbocharged V8, all-wheel drive, sport utility vehicle
450 hp @ 6,000 rpm
460 lb-ft @ 2,250-4,750rpm
0-62 mph: 5.6 sec
Top Track Speed: 165 mph
Towing Capacity: 7,716 lbs
Ground Clearance: 6.18 - 10.75 in
Wading Depth: 21.85 in

nice enough family car with some POWER!

·
Mr. A. Wong
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
911.. i doubt they'd spend that much. :rolleyes: their last car was a 545i so it'll probably be around that range.

I drove around the 528i for a few days, and honestly, as a daily driver, the camry is more fun to drive.
The 5 requires a lot of arm and foot strength. gas pedal is heavy, and the wheel requires more energy to turn it. I feel more bumps with the 5, camry kinda floats over them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts