Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
07 DBL Cab TACO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
On December 5, 2007 I had a TSB done on my 07' Tacoma because similar to others on this site, we discovered that the Factory suspension was junk. I was elated to have this done. Well on Friday as I walked to my machine I noticed something sticking out of the Frame. Way out of the frame. The pictures on the link should tell the story.

It also appears that over the course of time the nutless bolt managed to erode a new hole in the housing attaching the suspension to the frame.

Moving to the other side of the vehicle I figured I should look at that nut and bolt team. Guess what? I unscrewed the nut by hand. It wasn't even tight.

Video: http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/vv28/nightwatch_bucket/?action=view&current=MVI_0003.flv

My warranty is up but what do you guys think the chances are of having this work done correctly and for free since they didn't do it right in the first place? I have only 23,000 miles on my machine and 13,000 since the TSB? I may be wrong but this area of the truck is something I should be able to rely on. You ideas and opinions on how to handle the dealer in Burien would be greatly appreciated. Luckly I caught it before something worse happened. Thank you.

·
Registered
984 Posts
being as that what you have going on there can be potentially life threatening, I would say you have a good shot at making them cover it. Either than or they are leaving themselves open for a large law suit.

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Not good at all. Have it towed and demand it be fixed. Whoever did the work sure dropped the ball!

·
Registered
07 DBL Cab TACO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to this site I was able to find the TSB and get it done, but I was the first one they did and it shows. I even brought them the paperwork.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Are you under the impression that they neglected to tighten the bolts at the time of repair, or that the bolts worked loose over time?

Either way, it's hard to believe you didn't notice anything abnormal before spotting it visually. Best of luck...

·
Registered
352 Posts
You are lucky that that bolt did not come out or the rear axle would have shifted and likely caused a loss of control. The only way I would accept a repair would be to have some heavy washers welded to the original mounts to re-locate the bolt holes to the correct position. Even though you might have been able to hear this issue hammering away at the frame, With only 13K miles since the TSB this is their [email protected]#k up. Ask if the Tech that did the work still works there, it might be a sign of his work history. Are these self locking nuts from the factory, if so even if it came loose the nut would not come of completely, allowing the bolt to nearly fall out. Take all these pictures with you when you go to get your truck fixed right. Good luck!! Time to go re-torque all the bolts on mine!!!

·
Registered
07 DBL Cab TACO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You would think. It has been winter here so windows are up and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I did notice a little swim in my turns over the last week but thought it was the rain which we haven't had much of this winter. I was parked on a slope which is why I think I noticed it as much as I did. I am really attentive to sounds and feel of my machine. One would think I would have caught this earlier.

·
Registered
07 DBL Cab TACO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr Grimm, that nut is from the HomeDepot because the original is long gone. This all went down at 6 pm on Friday. I got home hammered the bolt through to see if I could at least stabilize it and then got a nut for safety.

Needamog, I was thinking the same, a heavy washer to repair the hole. Still sucks.

I believe they did fasten washers and nuts but I don't believe they torqued them correctly. I don't off road and don't rally my vehicle. I only drive 14 miles round trip in the city. The big snow we had created a lot of compact snow ruts that I think jostled the bolt out. The other nut was unthreadingf on its own. The washer was flopping around when I looked underneath on Friday. Only a matter of time before that one came off.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Someone did use locktight also. I've changed out my suspension a few time out already and what happened to your truck is total BS. You can see that it's been loose for while by how much metal has rubbed away. If you can get locknuts. it's just another safety issue, but someone seriously failed epically.

·
Registered
07 DBL Cab TACO
41 Posts
Heres Two more photos

Thank you to whoever adjusted my photos so they didn't have links.

The photo above was teh other side of the truck. Notice the floppy washer. Now that is the original nut and washer. Should they be using locking washers?

Another view of the bolt before it was hammered in.

Again thank you all for your input.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Toyomoho, It was Burien Toyota. Anyone know a good lawyer if these give me any problems?
*Takes a mental note not to ever go to Burien Toyota when he moves back to Seattle*

I might be able to ask someone who might know some good lawyers up there.

·
Registered
07 DBL Cab TACO
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well it appears Burien Toyota is going to take care of this. I sent the images to their shop manager. I had a loaner car waiting for me and spoke with the autobody guy today. He made note that I wanted the bracket removed and reinstalled. They can do this but it would be replaced with a bunch of nuts and bolts because no one has a riveter like the factory. Instead they are going to weld up the hole and retap it, and then weld the nut onto the bracket, and then replace the leaf spring on the damaged side and hopefully the adjacent one as well. I think they realize the severity and negligence of their repair work on my TSB. Luckly no one was hurt. Again thank you for all your comments and suggestions and if you have anymore I would happily entertain them.

·
Stupid is stupid does
2008 tundra
5,554 Posts
glad its getting fixed. Thats pretty scary stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts