Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 TRD off road, 3.4 auto.

Recently, the truck has developed a "shudder" on taking off from standing still, or from low speed, such as accelerating after a turn at a 90 degree, or so, intersection. Does not seem to do that under any acceleration on the highway or street, at speed.

I did a quick solo visual inspection of the engine mounts by raising the hood and looking at the engine, in drive and reverse, with the brakes locked and goosing the engine. Looked solid to me.

Recent maintenance, with no problems immediately after, outer tie rods and alignment, drive shaft carrier bearing assembly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If it were a manual transmission I would suspect the clutch, but it's not, so I won't.

Maybe the engine is stalling slightly as you depress the gas pedal? Maybe you could put the truck in Park and then very, v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y depress the pedal and see if it changes speed as soon as you touch the pedal (it should)?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it were a manual transmission I would suspect the clutch, but it's not, so I won't.

Maybe the engine is stalling slightly as you depress the gas pedal? Maybe you could put the truck in Park and then very, v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y depress the pedal and see if it changes speed as soon as you touch the pedal (it should)?

Engine seems smooth and responsive. I can manually force shifts and it seems to make no difference. Makes me think it is driveline or mounts. It is a bit intermittent and I really cannot isolate it to front or rear. Sometimes feels like rear wheel hop, a bit, other times like something is bouncing. I do think it needs front shocks and have them sitting in a box waiting for warmer weather. Probably need rears also.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear U joint was bad. Had local shop replace it, only charged me a half hour ( I go there from time to time for other stuff), even though it took them at least an hour.

But now the truck feels fine and seems to have a spring in here step, as well as at all 4 corners . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts