Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Goldie Dad
Highlander
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new 2006 AWD sienna with run-flat tires. I've contemplated taking them off once they've worn down, or even selling them now while they still have all their tread life remaining. Can the rims support regular tires if I choose to wear out the run-flat tires? If I obtain four new tires, can I throw a donut tire in the rear seat well (losing the store and go option), and rely on the donut tire for a temporary spare? If conventional tires are used (with new rims or with run-flat rims), will the tire pressure system/light be an issue?

·
MDT Toyota Tech
413 Posts
regular tires should work just fine, you just lose the storage room due to having a spare in the back, they only went to run flats due to the driveshaft replacing the area where the spare is stored on the 2wd sienna's. sensors will work correctly as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
regular tires should work just fine, you just lose the storage room due to having a spare in the back, they only went to run flats due to the driveshaft replacing the area where the spare is stored on the 2wd sienna's. sensors will work correctly as well
I have 2004 Sienna XLE AWD, and also needed to change all 4 tires. So, Only downside of switching RFT to Regular tires is not being able to drive 50miles with flat and carrying ugly looking black huge tire in the trunk? Thanks! RFT really kills the joy of driving a nice car. :(
Also, Do I need to get new rims for those Non-RFT?

Thanks for your help!!!

·
Registered
'06 Seinna XLE AWD
1,303 Posts
I have heard the RFT also realy not that good in snowey conditions. Can I put steel 16" wheels with snows for winter use here in New Hampshire?:confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

I recently bought a new 2006 AWD sienna with run-flat tires. I've contemplated taking them off once they've worn down, or even selling them now while they still have all their tread life remaining. Can the rims support regular tires if I choose to wear out the run-flat tires? If I obtain four new tires, can I throw a donut tire in the rear seat well (losing the store and go option), and rely on the donut tire for a temporary spare? If conventional tires are used (with new rims or with run-flat rims), will the tire pressure system/light be an issue?
Run flat tires are terrible and expensive. I've used Goodyear Fortera and Assurance Comfort tires. They work fine and the car rides like an entirely different car. I did the junk yard search on the internet and found a small "donut" tire at a good price to take care of my spare. I will never use run flat tires again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The dealer replaced my moms run flats as part of a settlement so you might want to try that first. they cost he nothing and she now has new tires. hers is awd but she had no problem driving in snow for the last few years.
you can put regular tires on the wheels if you wish

·
Registered
3 Posts
Toyota should offer all owners of Sienna AWD vehicles a free spare tire because of all the problems we have had with those stupid runflat tires.All of us that have had put 90k on our vans have gone through at least 5000.00 in tires.I am putting radials on my van and am looking for a cheap donut spare to through in the back...Good luck with that..I called toyota to try and get at least a discount and they refused.Its funny that the people who purchase the Front wheel drive siennas get a free spare but the people that really need one want to charge us over 500.00 for a donut...Shame on you Toyota.Shame on you

·
Registered
15 Posts
That makes no sense. Run flats eliminate the need for a spare. So why do you need it more? Are you driving over debris all the time?
There is nothing stopping you from going with regular tires and throwing a spare in the back. Toyota had to go with run flats because of the awd.
Other than the cold start thumping, we have not had a flat in either set. And it is not like the tires are well cared for.

How did you spend $5k in 96k?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No we are not driving over debris.As a matter of fact on our last set of tires we had an allignment and we rotated every oil change and got only 22000 mi on them.Thats bull...We went through 4 sets of tires.since we bought the vehicle in dec of 2004.This tire problem is shared by more than myself.I think that at the minimum they should offer us a discount on the spare...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did because I am really ticked off at these Tires.I was going to replace them with Radials about 20,000 miles ago but the wife had messed upo and had the mechanic put new run-flats on when she ran into trouble last year.

·
Goldie Dad
Highlander
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Original thread composer

I first brought this issue up right after I purchased my AWD Sienna. Since then, we've put 43,000 miles on the original set of RFT, before having to finally replace them. I rotate the tires myself every 6k miles. At the time, I was going to replace them with conventional tires, and obtain a spare donut. I almost had my hands on one from a junk yard (would have been $100 for tire/rim) when they told me it was damaged. I checked with the dealer and they wanted $100 for the rim and $350 for the donut tire. They don't sell many replacement donut tires which drives up the cost. I ultimately went to Les Schwab and bought OEM replacement RFT for $950 out the door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an 06 AWD. When i replaced the tires I went to Costco and had regular radials put on. The vehicle drives nicer and I spent about $200 less. I don't even worry about a spare unless we're going on a long trip. If my wife is driving the vehicle and has a flat, she is going to call AAA anyways. It's a calculated risk, and worth it for us b/c of the money and the crappy RFTs. Same rims, no effect to TPMS.

As far as snow goes, we live on dirt roads in the mountains, so i bought 4 used rims from www.car-part.com junkyards, bought 4 X-Ice snow tires and had them mounted. If you are so inclined, you can switch the tires before the first snow and then put the radials back on in spring. We also bought chains. This isn't a solution for everyone, just a suggestion. With AWD, snow tires, and chains, you can go just about anywhere!! :)

brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts