Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Newbie here. How is everyone doing?
Anyways, I have a 01 Sienna that may need a tranny swap. It shifts very hard and rough, and jolts violently when downshifting from time to time. It has roughly 280k miles on it. Both ABS and VSC are on. Also O2 sensor bank 2 bad, throwing an engine code.
My question is: will a tranny from a Lexus ES300 or same model Camry fit into a Sienna engine? They all share the same engine and transmission code as according to Wikipedia (A541E).
Thanks in advance.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,916 Posts
Hello! Newbie here. How is everyone doing?
Anyways, I have a 01 Sienna that may need a tranny swap. It shifts very hard and rough, and jolts violently when downshifting from time to time. It has roughly 280k miles on it. Both ABS and VSC are on. Also O2 sensor bank 2 bad, throwing an engine code.
My question is: will a tranny from a Lexus ES300 or same model Camry fit into a Sienna engine? They all share the same engine and transmission code as according to Wikipedia (A541E).
Thanks in advance.
Is it throwing any transmission codes? I have an '01 ES (U140E, not A541E unfortunately. The A-series is much better than the U-series) with transmission problems and it disables VSC (ABS and VSC lights on) when the trans isn't working properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope...no transmission codes. Just an O2 sensor engine code. It has almost no power as it hesitates a lot when going up in RPM. This could be from the sensor but I'm not entirely sure.
It is now stuck in my backyard in a shallow puddle of mud and snow. It doesn't even have enough power to pull itself out. I think it has finally gave up on life. Lol.
I want to at least try to find another transmission but there are almost no sienna trannys lying around. Whole bunch of ES300 and Camrys.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,916 Posts
Nope...no transmission codes. Just an O2 sensor engine code. It has almost no power as it hesitates a lot when going up in RPM. This could be from the sensor but I'm not entirely sure.
It is now stuck in my backyard in a shallow puddle of mud and snow. It doesn't even have enough power to pull itself out. I think it has finally gave up on life. Lol.
I want to at least try to find another transmission but there are almost no sienna trannys lying around. Whole bunch of ES300 and Camrys.
I'd plug in a scanner that can display real-time data and see if your fuel trims are OK. Then I'd replace the sensor with a nice Denso (stay away from Bosch unless they're rebadged NGKs).

Sounds like the engine is in limp mode

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That is a great idea. I'm gonna see what I can come up with after getting a proper diagnostic tool. In the meantime I think I should replace everything on the car that may disrupt the air/fuel mixture.
However...I still want to know if a Camry or ES300 tranny can fit in a Sienna. It would be so much cheaper. The junkyards here are filled with those cars.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,916 Posts
Thanks. That is a great idea. I'm gonna see what I can come up with after getting a proper diagnostic tool. In the meantime I think I should replace everything on the car that may disrupt the air/fuel mixture.
However...I still want to know if a Camry or ES300 tranny can fit in a Sienna. It would be so much cheaper. The junkyards here are filled with those cars.
While you try and get the engine running better, I cross-posted (sort of) in the gen3/4 Camry forum that I normally haunt: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-3rd-4th-generation-1992-1996-1997-2001/1446114-all-a541e-s-same.html

·
short-throw dipstick
5,916 Posts
I just realized something. Is it any different since the ES/Camry has a floor shifter and the Sienna has a column shifter?

I know the AX4N's I've encountered in Tauruses have somewhat different versions depending on column- vs floor-shifted.

·
Vehicle Hoarder
3 Posts
reviving an old thread -

Is it possible to swap a manual transmission from a V6 CAmry to a Sienna ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts