Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
devon
1987 Tercel
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently bought an 88 corolla sr5 with a silvertop 4age swap from a 93 jdm corolla, the guy kindof ripped me off for how much work i have to do, the wiring harness has soo many open connections. basically all he did was put the engine on the mounts, and didnt connect anything else.... i really need to get this done because my current car, 87 tercel, is on its way out... does anyone have any advice for me or know a thread for the swap that could help me. anything would be greatly appriciated
-thank you

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Ooooooooooh!
He probably thought it was an easy job to do that swap and found out after he started that it wasn't so, and dumped it on you.

The engine install was the easy part, the wiring is just tedious, if you are good with wiring diagrams and can get a wiring diagram for an engine not sold in the US.

If you are not good with wire diagrams, or can't get the ones you need...............You need profesional help.

Anyway, don't despair. There is a guy on here, you must have heard of him, Dr Tweak from Pheonixtuning.com.
He will do your wiring for you. You need to send him your wire harness from the old engine and the new engine, and he gives you back a harness that just plugs in to everything.

I am getting ready to send him the harnesses for a 4A-GZE swap into a 1987 FX-16.

Go to the web site pheonixtuning.com

·
devon
1987 Tercel
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am good with wiring diagrams for the most part, but like you said, i dont think id be ably to get a jdm wiring diagram for the engine, all i really have to do is hook up the ignition switch but, atleast thats what the douchebag said, there is still just a mess of wires and connections, i will check out this Dr. Tweak though, thank you

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
your also going to have issues with the fuel system because the 88 corolla was carbureted... so it doesn't have a fuel pump. You'll need to drop the fuel tank and install an EFI fuel pump assembly into the tank and run a new fuel line...

here is the thread I made when I swapped my 89:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306184

Reactions: yoTERCELyo

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
i am good with wiring diagrams for the most part, but like you said, i dont think id be ably to get a jdm wiring diagram for the engine, all i really have to do is hook up the ignition switch but, atleast thats what the douchebag said, there is still just a mess of wires and connections, i will check out this Dr. Tweak though, thank you
Wiring diagrams, wire colour codes and connector pin-outs can be found on Club4AGE.com, but having done two swaps myself including the wiring, I think it is worth it to pay someone who will probably do a much better job than I.

Especially since my GZE wiring has been cut up.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
You'll need to drop the fuel tank and install an EFI fuel pump assembly into the tank and run a new fuel line...
And get an EFI fuel tank with the internal collector bucket.

·
Rotary guy...
89 RX-7 Turbo
2,456 Posts
And get an EFI fuel tank with the internal collector bucket.
pshh, only if you want to be able to turn sharp with less than half a tank ;)

I'm still running mine with a carb tank... I just fill it up before autocrosses, it's not too bad.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
half a tank weighs less than a full tank ;)

on a boosted car its more critical not to get air sucked in though

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts

·
devon
1987 Tercel
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im only looking to get this wiring mess worked out and get everything hooked up and together before i start worry about really running it up to standard, i only have like $190 left in my bank account, and i use about $60 a week too get to school.. my situation is f#(<ed up with this car, but i do appriciate the suggestions, deffinately going to have to keep them in mind, anything else i should do?

·
devon
1987 Tercel
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
today i was looking at this thread http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356468
and i decided to run the car without a/c, the lines are just in the way, so im going to take them out and the compressor and everything having to do with it, but im not sure where the a/c compressor is, or how long of a belt i would need, seeing as how it would be one pulley short, any suggestions :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts