304 Posts
high beams or low or both

camry 96
304 Posts
'i got both 9006 and 9005 for 80 bucks total at walmart they look white

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
i always see ads in the sunday paper for 20$ rebates. 10 instant rebates and 10 mail in rebates if you buy a pair. that comes down to about 30$ after all the rebates.

·
Tabarnak chu où?
94 Posts
Stay AWAY from Silverstars....the bulbs have a life expectancy of only 1.25 years and they often die sooner....

I installed my first set in Nov. 2003 and I am already on my 2nd set....which is a free replacement set I received from Sylvania after complaining....

High price, extra lighting, but poor quality..... I will go back to regular bulbs when this 2nd set dies....

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
KNOCKING ON WOOD: on my second year on the same set. Very happy for the price. Got them from ebay for 30bucks including shipping. Great deal

·
back again? yeah, i am.
1992 Toyota Camry
1,493 Posts
you could get two pair of silvania silverstars on ebay for like 60 bucks...mae sure you get 9005 (theyre brighter, but need modification):thumbup:

·
Tabarnak chu où?
94 Posts
Erbe said:
you could get two pair of silvania silverstars on ebay for like 60 bucks...mae sure you get 9005 (theyre brighter, but need modification):thumbup:

Depends on which models fits in your car..... not all cars use the 9005!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I paid $28 shipped from ebay earlier this year. Mine still haven't gone out but I remember the guy @ autozone telling me the same thing. He had them on his 'stang and told me they lasted him under a year. Still better than those blue cheapies that burned out a harness...:mad:

·
Tabarnak chu où?
94 Posts
This is what the OSRAM Sylvania rep sent as a response to my email concerning the bad life of the Silverstars

Thank you for contacting us concerning you interest in Sylvania products.

The difference between the North American and European Silverstars are as follows:

The North American version is coated to make it a "whiter" looking light, in Europe, they don't.
Both European and North American versions are brighter. (higher lumen output)
Aside, from the colour of the light, the lamp is identical. The European lamp will be brighter, but the North American
lamp will be whiter.

The average rated life of Silverstars are 1-1.25 years for average usage.

The Silverstar is a high performance bulb, so life is sacrificed for performance.

Please let me know, if you require further information.

Marianne Barker
Customer Service Representative
Osram Sylvania Ltd
Phone 1-800-265-2852
Fax 1-800-667-6772

And this is the email I had sent them

I purchased SilverStar bulbs for my car after being told that they give better lighting performance. Installed them and yes they do give out a better light at night. However, I was recently told that these bulbs are not the same as the ones sold in Europe under the name SilverStar and that they actually burn out alot faster (ie within a year in many cases).

The information I received is the following: ''Why do you specify ''Outside North America only'' on the SilverStar bulbs? Osram, the well-established German lampmaker, sells a line of automotive bulbs they call ''SilverStar''. These are Osram's top-of-the-range headlamp bulbs, equivalent to Philips VisionPlus and Tungsram Megalight Premium. They produce the maximum legal amount of light while staying within legal power consumption limits. They have clear glass. Osram bought the well-established American lampmaker Sylvania in the early 1990s, so Osram is now Sylvania's parent company. Sylvania also sells a line of !
automotive bulbs they call ''SilverStar'', but it's not the same product at all. These bulbs have a blue coating on them. Light output is of legal levels, but as with all blue-filtered bulbs, you do not get more light from them. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs have a very short lifetime, because the filament is selected so as to be overdriven. This is necessary because the blue filtration coating ''steals'' so much light that only an overdriven filament can push enough light through the filter to be legal. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs are also priced quite high. This is not because they cost a lot to make, and not because they're based on some exotic new technology. It's because the goal with this product is to take market share away from other overpriced bulbs like the PIAA line. For best headlamp performance and best value, choose only bulbs with clear glass.''

I would like to get confirmation that this is the case. I spent close to 30$ CAN for each bulb I put in my car in order to get better visibility but I also wanted a bulb that would last close to a stock/regular bulb lifetime. If it's true that your bulbs are not designed to last long, I am feeling ripped off.

·
Registered
678 Posts
forgot to input this, why don't you buy a pair of HIR 2, 9012 =9006, worth the money and time, output around 1800 lumens. Cost you around 30 a pair. Saw them on ebay sometimes, but hard to get so be patient

1 - 15 of 15 Posts