Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering alot of time I race for fun I sometime start out in the first gear then second then D and then I hit the O/D switch, or sometime I start out in second then D then I hit the O/D switch.

My Question is I have a automatic camry and when I am racing and shifting like that is it safe for my engine?? or is it even safe at all..

·
tC
2007 Scion tC
486 Posts
if you are flooring it from a standstill leaving it in drive is the best thing to do. if you try to drive an auto like a stick you will probably end up accelerating slower. (from a standstill with full acceleration)

as far as how safe it is for you car, well beating on your car is never great but you are probably putting more stress on ur trans then on ur motor. fwiw, i regularly beat on my 95 v6 and have only performed regular maintenance.

my $.02

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
safe for the engine? how abotu safe for the tranny. there are huge debates on this. basically.. if we cant prove it dont do it.

plus if you want to act like you have a manual.. get a manual.

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Also, starting in L and moving up isn't going to make you accelerate any faster. The lower gears are there so that you can drop the gear when going up a steep uphill so that you can get up the hill. Starting in D, its not as if you're not starting from 1st gear anyway.

One way or the other, if you're gonna race, race on the track, not on the street. Too many posts on Off-Topic about people getting killed, hurt, or mangled in street race accidents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts