Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Black 95 Avalon XLS
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was out driving today, I was sitting at a stoplight and suddenly the car started shaking. After heading to the Autozone which was a block away, it was throwing the code of p0305(cylinder 5 misfire). I decided to just buy a new spark plug and give it a try(Cheapest troubleshooting option). After putting it in, the engine still was shaking a fair bit, so I decided to do some quick troubleshooting. I swapped the coil packs between 5 and 6 to see if it would throw different codes, and sure enough, after racing to autozone to check the codes again, it was only giving me p0306(cylinder 6). Now, to find a cheap price for a coil pack...

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,575 Posts
Yikes! '95 used twice as many at twice the price per coil, compared to later years.

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
943 Posts
Twice as many? The Avalon uses 3 coil packs instead of 6. Which is economical because two plugs always fire a the same time. However, why pass on the savings to the customer? So a single coilpack costs double of a traditional one.

I had to resort to buying one at Toyota, for 110-140 dollars.

However, as the above statement as one coilpack fires two spark plugs, and you only have one cylinder misfiring, something is quirky. What I'm getting at, if the windings in the coil were bad you would have two cylinders misfiring, yes?

If I recall, cylinders 1 3 and 5 are in the rear, and 2 4 and 6 in the front. Which makes it quite odd that relocating the coil pack would shift your misfire from 5 to 6. instead of 5 to 3 or 1.

Id change your spark plug wires first, if you haven't in a while. But.. the spark plug wires only link the coil packs to the three rear spark plugs. So scrap that idea, and maybe clean all your connectors and give everything the good ol' wiggle test.

·
1,575 Posts
Twice as many? The Avalon uses 3 coil packs instead of 6. Which is economical because two plugs always fire a the same time. However, why pass on the savings to the customer? So a single coilpack costs double of a traditional one.

I had to resort to buying one at Toyota, for 110-140 dollars.
If you took the time to look it up, you'd see that the '95 Avalon shows six coil packs, not three, for what appears to be the full production year. So, the rest of your comments are worthless for this particular application. It's not a good to jump in and correct others without making sure of what you're talking about.:disappoin

·
Avarollin?
1996 Avalon XLS
943 Posts
I apologize for the misinformation. I thought the 95 and the 96 shared the same systems and parts, while the 97-99 were their own breed too. I will not make that mistake again!

·
Registered
211 Posts
jigg007 i would have made the same mistake. ive changed plugs on a bunch of imz and havent ran into 6 coils. ted got a bit upset about it wow.

·
1,575 Posts
jigg007 i would have made the same mistake. ive changed plugs on a bunch of imz and havent ran into 6 coils. ted got a bit upset about it wow.
True. People who presume to correct others while actually supplying misinformation are a pet peeve of mine. Wrong answers are much worse than silence. BTW, Toyota's pricing is also opposite of what was written in the "correction". The "one of six coils" are twice the price of the "one of three".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts