Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search but couldnt find the answer i was looking for. i know many of the members here have hid's. what is the most popular way to go. single beam or bi xenon. i have heard many people say that bi xenon are better. then some people have said things like the light scatters, there are more hot spots with bi xenon than the single beams. i am looking at various png 6000k kits thank you.

·
Registered
Black 2006 DC LB
92 Posts
the only right way to do HID is to retrofit projectors.

Bi-xenon just means that the bulb tilts up to project light farther/higher like high beams.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
I have both single and bi-xenon. The single xenons came with the headlamps i purchased, but I choose to get a bi-xenon, i mean who wants to lose their high beams?

The bi-xenon actually has 2 HID bulbs on each unit. So it doesn't just tilt up, it actually has a separate bulb for hi beam. And no it is not a halogen bulb, both hi and lo are HID's.

That said both kits are sitting on my floor waiting for my truck to arrive so I can't comment on quality / difference between the kits.

·
surfing TN via Iphone
237 Posts
I just got my bi xenon kit and I love it. Go with the bi you don't wanna lose your high beams

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've never seen a bi-xenon kit that has a light pattern as good as my low beam only kit. I have never missed my high beams. Anyone that has a bi-xenon kit will say they are the best, but try comparing the light pattern against a wall between the two kits, they don't compare.

·
TRD-J
09 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
422 Posts
I've never seen a bi-xenon kit that has a light pattern as good as my low beam only kit. I have never missed my high beams. Anyone that has a bi-xenon kit will say they are the best, but try comparing the light pattern against a wall between the two kits, they don't compare.
Thats what i plan on doing whenever my truck finally arrives, 3 - 4 weeks yet :headbang:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the word that i was looking for was cut off. from what i have heard single beam have a much better/ cleaner cut off than the bi. the bi do have hi beams which are nice. those of you with bi xenons. how often have u needed to use your high beams.

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,139 Posts
yeah the word that i was looking for was cut off. from what i have heard single beam have a much better/ cleaner cut off than the bi. the bi do have hi beams which are nice. those of you with bi xenons. how often have u needed to use your high beams.
That's a question I'd like to hear an answer to. On my way to work in the morning where I'm looking for animals up ahead in/near the road/freeway, I'm spending 70% of my 25 minute drive with the high beams on. With high beams now, I can see at least a thousand feet down the road. I don't think low beams on a single beam xenon will do that.

·
DOMINICAN TACOMA
06 tacoma dc
190 Posts
I have both single and bi-xenon. The single xenons came with the headlamps i purchased, but I choose to get a bi-xenon, i mean who wants to lose their high beams?

The bi-xenon actually has 2 HID bulbs on each unit. So it doesn't just tilt up, it actually has a separate bulb for hi beam. And no it is not a halogen bulb, both hi and lo are HID's.

That said both kits are sitting on my floor waiting for my truck to arrive so I can't comment on quality / difference between the kits.

If you want you can do like i did ,i have the dual hid bulbs and made it that when you hit high beam all of them work together lows and highs....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
surfing TN via Iphone
237 Posts
here in south Carolina I travel quite a bit of "back" road both in the mornings and nights so also spend alot of time with my high beams on. They provide alot more light which is real good looking for deer wanting to cross the road. I like having the highs but that's just me

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
All the time...especially if you travel on empty roads at night or go to the river a lot like I do.

That's a question I'd like to hear an answer to. On my way to work in the morning where I'm looking for animals up ahead in/near the road/freeway, I'm spending 70% of my 25 minute drive with the high beams on. With high beams now, I can see at least a thousand feet down the road. I don't think low beams on a single beam xenon will do that.
I don't think they can do that either, but the bi xenon definitely throws light far down the road with the highs on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, that is the best option but it cost more and takes more time!
Time yes i agree, price, not as much as you think considering you are getting higher quality equipment. Also you wont have annoying glare with a retro. As I said, do it once and do it right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bi-Xenon for sure. The light output is really good. The high beams (or retracted bulb) isn't as strong , I think it loses a lot of the focus when the bulbs retract and that reduces the amount of light focused down the road. With the retrofit projectors I'm sure the high beam would be perfect.

I'm actually thinking of pulling my HID's and go back to a regular bulb. I have a strong cut off line but I'm getting sick of blinding people with scattered light. Unless I'm going to do a full retrofit of proper optics the HID's are coming out.

The lightforce 240's are plenty bright for those dark roads!

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
Yes, that is the best option but it cost more and takes more time!
what, at most $200 more, and it can be done in a day, easily in a weekend, as proven on customtacos, go check it out!

i just picked up perfect 07 TLs w/ like new ballasts for $212 on ebay, and also got a nearly new set of D2S phillips for $40, for grand total of $252. i made a harness for ~$15, and now all i have to do is consider a shroud and pick up misc hardware to mount....it really doesnt have to be this $500+ job everyone makes it out to be!!

shoot, i pieced together some matsushita ballasts (pair) for $65, bulbs can be had for the noted $40/pair, and budget projectors can be had for ~$100....

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
what, at most $200 more, and it can be done in a day, easily in a weekend, as proven on customtacos, go check it out!

i just picked up perfect 07 TLs w/ like new ballasts for $212 on ebay, and also got a nearly new set of D2S phillips for $40, for grand total of $252. i made a harness for ~$15, and now all i have to do is consider a shroud and pick up misc hardware to mount....it really doesnt have to be this $500+ job everyone makes it out to be!!

shoot, i pieced together some matsushita ballasts (pair) for $65, bulbs can be had for the noted $40/pair, and budget projectors can be had for ~$100....
Not arguing that $200 isn't that much more. I told you if I had the money and time (a weekend is a joke)...you still aren't finish are you? ;) Giving you a hard time...cause I know you were in the process. And making a harness is no bueno if you ask me, I want one put together! So when you are done make a DIY and show us your work...or I will just go to Santa Monica and have you do mine. LOL! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not arguing that $200 isn't that much more. I told you if I had the money and time (a weekend is a joke)...you still aren't finish are you? ;) Giving you a hard time...cause I know you were in the process. And making a harness is no bueno if you ask me, I want one put together! So when you are done make a DIY and show us your work...or I will just go to Santa Monica and have you do mine. LOL! :thumbsup:
www.hidplanet.com

·
Registered
'12 Ram 1500 HEMI
1,138 Posts
Thanks for the one liner. I already know about that site. Did you make/put together a kit from them? If so please show your DIY, process, and pics. ;)
weekend.....here

i have yet to start, to many other things going on in my life right now, but just for that, i will do it start to finish, one weekend, just to prove you wrong!! pics will be shown upon completion of course!

harness....there is a thorough DIY thread on your one liner site, even to the point that there is a complete shopping list w/ links....if you cant make a harness from that, i dont know what to tell you....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts