Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm hoping you guys might be able to lend me a hand.

I've got a new Kenwood head unit on the way in addition to the Sirius Kenwood package so that I can have satellite radio in my Matrix. I did a Sirius install on my wife's Jeep Liberty a few years ago and it was very simple. However, I've been scouting my Matrix for a good route to run the antenna wire and I'm not coming up with anything good.

Also, I've got a shark fin antenna on order that I'd like to eventually use to cover both the stock antenna and the Sirius antenna similar to the pictures halfway down this page.

All that said, I'm hoping to run my sirius antenna through the same hole as the stock antenna and keep it above the headliner all the way up to the A pillar. Then I could come down the pillar and connect to the Sirius tuner which I'm hoping I'll have room to mount behind the glovebox next to the Kenwood adapter.

So, I guess to summarize, I'm hoping you guys can:

1) Verify that my antenna routing idea can work.
2) Verify that there is room to mount the Sirius tuner and Kenwood adapter behind the glovebox.
3) Assuming #1 is possible, how in the world do I get the headliner down enough to see the stock antenna and then get the wire routed to the passenger side A pillar?
4a) Assuming #1 is not possible, what would be a better route to get the antenna to the front?

Big thanks in advance for any info you can send my way.

·
Gearhead
2,140 Posts
1) It is doable - though probably not from the same hole. You can drill one right behind or infront of it - cover them both up with the aftermarket antenna.

2) Will be a tight space - remember your cabin air filter / blower is right behind there. Might be able to setup something to the right side.

3) The wiring on my old 2003 - ran up the A-pillar, down the passenger side of headliner, down the rear sail area - up and over infront of the tailgate to the antenna. All together not too bad to pull off, getting it back up there is another matter. Extra pair of hands a big help here. A-pillars just pull off, have to remove the front visors and the upper grab bars, dome lamp / moonroof controls.

Option) You can try routing the SIRIUS antenna like the OEM NAVI system GPS antenna - right to the center windshield defrost vents - sits out far enough to see enough of the constellation to get good satellite signals, and simplier to route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for such a detailed response.

I'm nervous to drill a hole in the roof of my car so I guess I'll have to find a better way in that regard.

I really like your routing suggestion down the passenger side. I assume you pulled the pillar, moon controls, dome lamp, and visors in order to get the headliner down enough to tuck the wire? Did you need to remove any rear panels?

Again, I really appreciate your help. I've done many different types of installs but never on this car and I'm a bit ignorant feeling right now.

·
Gearhead
2,140 Posts
Correct, I also initially pulled both sides of the A and B-pillars as well as the sail area, since I didn't know which way the factory wiring ran. Don't remember pulling any of the rear panels off - been a while since i did it, plus I don't have the 2003 Matrix anymore to refresh my memory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Over in MatrixOwners.com someone suggested I mount both the tuner and the module underneath the center console. Do you think (if they fit) that would work okay?

You think there will be any problems with the tuner and module overheating if they're under the console? I was reading the manuals tonight and they mentioned they needed to be in a well ventilated area. Maybe that's just something they have to put on there? I wouldn't think either of them would get all that hot, but I'm no expert either.

Thanks again for all the advice, Fish.

·
Gearhead
2,140 Posts
Well the center console doesn't generally see that much heat - so that might be OK. I guess it would depend if you use the center console all that much. I've run some fairly low powered equipment in enclosed spaces, and they can get surprisingly hot. That console probably isn't too well sealed, so enough of the ambient air should flow through there well enough.

I've read of them being mounting in the glovebox, to the side, under the seats, behind the headunit, and more. Just a function of how much of the car you want to pull apart to hide the wiring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fish.

Yeah, not sure I want to risk overheating them because it would be a hassle to rewire. Maybe I'll just stick with putting them under the passenger seat. I wonder if I put some vents on both sides of the bottom of the console if that would be enough ventilation?

Guess I'll just have to make the call when I get into the installation this weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts