Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
No one particular!
'14 Avalon XLE
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peeps,

I posted a quesion in audio section about getting out the radio on my wifes 05 corolla LE so I can install an FM relay/modulator so I can ditch the FM transmiter.

Anyone have photos of their sirius radio install in their corollas?

I am searching for other mounts other than the window. Maybe cup holder mount or cigarette lighting mount?

Photos or suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla LE
155 Posts
Instead of using an FM modulator, I highly highly recommend an auxiliary input device. I personally use the PAC company's AuxBox. This is the second car I've used it on, and it worked great for both cars. You just need to use the changer port and mount the little black box behind the dash.

I don't remember all the steps to removing the radio, but it basically goes like this: Remove the trim piece around the shifter. Remove the temp know. Take screw out behind temp knob. Remove entire plastic piece in the center of the dash. Remove snap trim around radio. Remove nuts holding radio in place.

·
No one particular!
'14 Avalon XLE
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since the FM relay/modulator is out of stock at crutchfield, i will just wait.

What is the difference between the FM relay and the aux input device. Don't they really do the same thing by bypassing the crappy FM transmitter??

Thanks.

·
No one particular!
'14 Avalon XLE
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the FM relay/modulator is out of stock at crutchfield, i will just wait.

What is the difference between the FM relay and the aux input device. Don't they really do the same thing by bypassing the crappy FM transmitter??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Corolla LE
155 Posts
The FM relay still relies upon transmitting as an FM station - which means the audio frequency range is restricted to the FM spectrum (which doesn't quite reach down as low as the humn ear can hear, nor does it reach as high). To get sound into your radio, you would be going through several steps. First step would be to take the audio source and then convert it to an FM signal. Then your radio takes the FM signal and then converts it back to an audio signal. Then the audio signal is amplified using the radio's built in amplifier.

An auxiliary input device inputs directly into the audio amplifier. As you can imagine, that's bypassing quite a few steps in the process compared to an FM relay.

I've always hated the cheapo FM transmitters because on long trips it seems like your spending more time trying to find a clear station than actually enjoying some good music. FM relays, also never really cared for - it seems that the decent ones are pretty expensive, so if I'm going to spend that much, might as well spend a few extra bucks and do it right.

But that's just my $0.02 on the subject, do whatver is best for your needs and budget. Good luck!

·
No one particular!
'14 Avalon XLE
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Crutchfield calls it a FM DIRECT ADAPTER.

From what I read, it's a vast improvement over the fm transmitter because as least you are not transmitting through the air with all that interference.

For $19.99 it seems like a relatively easy way to get sirius to sound at least better than transmitting. Since I have gotten sirius for my wife, she can't really enjoy it to much because here on LI, there is just way to much interference.

Since I have to take the radio out to get to the back, is an aux input device is just as easy since I have to get to the back of the radio anyway.

What parts are involved for the corolla so I can do this input device thing?

EDIT: how about this, would this work http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=705 and if so, how do I hook up the sirius radio to this. What cable(s) would I need?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts