Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's one i've never come across before. maybe someone here has.
when i'm sitting at a traffic light, or driveway etc. and i pump the brakes two or three times fairly heavily my trucks idle drops and coughs like it is gonna conk out. it does it when it's cold or warm. she's a 90 2wd 22r carb. i know there is an issue with brakes and high idle situations where it goes into fuel saving mode, but this is only happening a low idle with no foot on the gas pedal.
hmmmmmm!!!!!

·
Registered
1989 Pickup 4WD
586 Posts
Well, the brake booster needs vacuum from the engine to work. If you've got a leak and it's taking too much vacuum, you may be almost killing the engine. I'd suspect the brake booster, get a stethoscope and put it all over the brake booster while you hit the brakes with the engine running. If you hear an unusual amount of air escaping, replace it.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
yea and if the compression is low and it has too much blow by alot of vacuum taken from the crankcase might cause this. not that your engine is worn out it could be other things but a worn engine will do this more often, most likely its the brake booster, could be the pvc valve too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts