Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Skyjacker platinum series suspension lift for my 06 Tacoma and had it installed professionally Monday. After assembling the coilover the installer found that we were missing a part that was not on the parts list, a bushing/spacer for the bottom mount. So he called and they sent it UPS overnight. The following day, after the install was done, I test drove the truck and the ride was great. Unfortunately, I was only getting 0.5 inch of lift up front; measured from center of the wheel to top of fender and 2" at the rear. The installer followed all the installation instructions and my truck is all stock, except for the TRD CAI so there were no weight issues on the truck. So the installer did more adjustments but could only manage a total of 1.5" of lift. He said that if he compressed the coilover some more, the ride would be like a rock (the ride now is firm).

Called up Skyjacker today and they said everything was right on (part number, measurements that they asked for) and that I should have gotten 2.5-3" of lift. Now I guess the remedy is to either add 1.25" spacers to the top mount or deal with the hassles of returning a product (I bought it at Truckaddons.com). What do you guys think.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I doubt you will be able to return it since it has been installed. Unfortunate.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will just place a 1.25" spacer in between the upper strut coil support plate and it should not affect the spring rate. Then I could probably do some adjustments on the coilover so I can have a little bit softer ride than as it is now.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
you're gonna put a 1.25" spacer on the top plate?? wow, i don't think that will even fit. and if it does, that will be stretching your control arms a pretty good ways. maybe someone on here knows better though

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's what I am thinking of doing so I could get, at least, 2 - 2.5" of lift on the front. Currently, the measurements are like this: Front = 22" from center of wheel to top of fender, Rear = 24". Before the lift was installed; Front = 20.5", Rear = 22". So if any of you have any suggestions or advice, please feel free.

·
jorgem2
74 Posts
cpl1171 said:
I purchased a Skyjacker platinum series suspension lift for my 06 Tacoma and had it installed professionally Monday. After assembling the coilover the installer found that we were missing a part that was not on the parts list, a bushing/spacer for the bottom mount. So he called and they sent it UPS overnight. The following day, after the install was done, I test drove the truck and the ride was great. Unfortunately, I was only getting 0.5 inch of lift up front; measured from center of the wheel to top of fender and 2" at the rear. The installer followed all the installation instructions and my truck is all stock, except for the TRD CAI so there were no weight issues on the truck. So the installer did more adjustments but could only manage a total of 1.5" of lift. He said that if he compressed the coilover some more, the ride would be like a rock (the ride now is firm).

Called up Skyjacker today and they said everything was right on (part number, measurements that they asked for) and that I should have gotten 2.5-3" of lift. Now I guess the remedy is to either add 1.25" spacers to the top mount or deal with the hassles of returning a product (I bought it at Truckaddons.com). What do you guys think.
the statement "compressed the coilover some more" leads me to believe that you have an adjustable coilover that is not adjusted to the maximum ride height. I dont know about skyjacker suspensions that much but you should check if the coil is adjustable and if so are the spanner rings screwed to the limit of their travel. the installer may have a different opinion on lift kits and didnt adjust all the way up.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is an adjustable coilover, Jorgem2. Skyjackers instructions said "measure the amount of exposed thread above the upper spanner nut. 1.75" of thread should yield 2.5" - 3" of lift". The installer did that and it only yielded 0.5 inch of lift (ride was perfect though). So he adjusted it to about 2.5" (the installer had a digital measuring tool) but only lifted the truck another inch, giving it a total of 1.5" of lift.

I drove my truck home (35 miles) last night and the ride felt stiffer than my previous car which was lowered. I like a firm suspension but adjusting the coilover another 0.5 inch, I can't imagine what the ride would be like.

HUTCHSTACo,

·
Registered
06 Tacoma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HUTCHSTACo, I am still waiting for a response from Truckaddons.com. Any return request has to be done online. Sucks...

·
Mountaineer
499 Posts
thanks for the heads up. I hate to hear that you got hosed though. I would call skyjacker and ask them to fix the problem. if they refuse to fix your problem call the BBB.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There isn't a coilover out there that won't ride stiff as shit with 2.5-3inches of lift. Has anyone here used donahoes at 2.5-3 inches, they ride like a rock. If you want it to be smooth as hell you aer forced to sag them out. My question though is how does the rear ride? I am interested in obtaining a set of skyjacker leafs to get a full 2 inches of lift.

·
LaVaCrAwLeR
06 Tacoma DC TRD
397 Posts
wow that really sucks man.. If your sure the installer did everything correct and it still did not give you the 2.5 - 3 " of lift they advertised than a return should not be a problem... Call skyjacker..

THEN

go get a toytec 3" OME or if your pimpin get the DonaHoe's....:naughty:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts