Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
07 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if you all could give your opinions on the Tube Steps.

I haven't been off roading since around 1993 when I owned a Toyota 4x4. I didn't ever do anything too extreme...mudding, easy rocks etc. Part of my reason for getting my new Taco was doing some moderate off roading in the near future, so I was thinking if I should skip on the tubes and get some sliders or will the tube steps do fine in easy to moderate off roading?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I'd get the sliders if you plan to do off roading, even if it's just moderate

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
I saw a picture of a Tundra(another forum maybe?) that barely scrubbed a tree stump and bent his tube step into the rocker and did a little damage. I would definitely go with sliders and you'll soon see that as the general consensus around here. On second thought, maybe tube steps will hold a load. Another member just posted this. Let me know if you want it removed.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have step bars and do mild off roading. Got stuck once on a break-over before my lift and tires. Step bars held up and limited the damage to the rockers. That being said they still bent and dented the rockers slightly. Not enough to pay to fix, but enough to piss me off.

Look at it this way: Step bars are usually held on by bolts at both ends with nothing in the middle. One good hit in the middle and they bend upwards stopping only when they hit the rockers. Sliders are usually bolted or welded on in 3-4 places allong their length.

Don't waste money on step bars if you're going to want sliders later. I did that and now have to buy sliders, and remove $250 bars and junk them.:disappoin

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
betcha he's supported on his frame... and yes, that dude really had to try to do that!

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Do you have any special needs that would require the steps? You are short? Your wife/gf/so is short? You have kids?

Both sliders and steps serve a purpose, and then there's a bling factor as well for steps. Sliders are not blingy at all, but serve a very specific (and necessary) purpose off road. They don't really work well as a step (as discussed in other threads), but can be used for stepping in some cases. Steps can have bling, and can be useful in stepping in and out of the truck. My kids use them all the time.

Make your call based on what you require for 80% of your needs.

·
07 Tacoma 4x4 Off Road
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
screeber said:
Do you have any special needs that would require the steps? You are short? Your wife/gf/so is short? You have kids?

Both sliders and steps serve a purpose, and then there's a bling factor as well for steps. Sliders are not blingy at all, but serve a very specific (and necessary) purpose off road. They don't really work well as a step (as discussed in other threads), but can be used for stepping in some cases. Steps can have bling, and can be useful in stepping in and out of the truck. My kids use them all the time.

Make your call based on what you require for 80% of your needs.
No, not short, wife is like 5'6", so stepping is not really what i need, but I like the looks of the tube steps. But I also think the sliders look sweet, so I think i'll pass on the tubes and just go for the sliders. The shrockworks sliders say they stick out a bit more for stepping, any thoughts on those?

Thanks for the input guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts