Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you read it today I did the full brake job. The brakes feel nice and smooth. No more vibrations, and nice to be able to hammer down to a red light and stop quickly. Anyways after heating up the brakes a little I noticed poofs of smoke, and smelled brakes. The pistons on the calipers all pushed back in easily with a C clamp. The car doesn't pull. Is this a normal break in thing? I made sure to spray the brakes with brake clean before I installed them. What could be going wrong? Thankyou

Bart

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The first couple of times using the brakes you are going to get smoke, that is normal and ok. And definitly use ceramic pads, preferably dealer pads.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Depends on the car. For the camry they are ceramic. Made by akebono. If they are for like an older corolla they are organic. The difference is the company that makes them. If they are made by sumitomo they are organic. You can tell by the back of the pads. If they are akebonos they will have an ak on them.

·
Shit Disturber
249 Posts
LexusES250 said:
As you read it today I did the full brake job. The brakes feel nice and smooth. No more vibrations, and nice to be able to hammer down to a red light and stop quickly. Anyways after heating up the brakes a little I noticed poofs of smoke, and smelled brakes. The pistons on the calipers all pushed back in easily with a C clamp. The car doesn't pull. Is this a normal break in thing? I made sure to spray the brakes with brake clean before I installed them. What could be going wrong? Thankyou

Bart
did you spray the brakes or did you spray the rotors?

Your supposed to wipe off this layer of goo they coat the rotors in(rust prevention) with Brake cleaner...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I cleaned the brake glazing off with Brake Clean or however you spell it. They were nice and clean, but don't smoke anymore must have been a break in thing. Later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts