Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time poster here.
2004 Camry LE 2.4L 4-cyl
165k miles

The Issue - The car slips all through 1st gear. Eventually the car accelerates enough to shift into 2nd and it does so, but with a hard shift, and then no more slipping. Shifting from Park to Reverse feels harder now as well.

Tried So Far - Did a drain and fill on the transmission. 4 quarts out, 4 quarts Valvoline MaxLife in. It was pretty dark but was not low. No change in behavior.

In Case It's Relevant - About a month ago the battery started going and it was tripping the reset for idle on the throttle body, leading to some stall outs. I replaced the battery and the car quickly learned where idle needed to be. I cleaned the throttle body while I was at it. Cleaner, toothbrush, clean rag, and I made sure not to put pressure on or move the butterfly. Throttle body wasn't that dirty and I didn't use much cleaner. Car ran a little smoother after that. No problems since then but I thought I would mention it in case it helps. I read that the throttle position sensor on the throttle body can cause shifting issues if it goes bad.

The Question - What do? I know my way around most of the car but transmission issues are new to me. I was thinking about pulling a throttle body off a junked car to see if it is the sensor.

Thanks for any and all help!

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,065 Posts
Drop the pan and inspect the filter and magnets. If it’s skipping as bad as you say there’s a good chance you’ll find clutch material clogging the filter and some metal on the magnets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with @BlackCamSe, drop the pan and see what it looks like inside. There is a good DIY here for changing the filter/screen and removing a return line to pump out the old fluid so you can replace it all with new.

My son's 2000 Bonneville developed a hard shift between gears. A new filter and fresh fluid cleared that up for the remainder of the time he had the car. I can't speak to your slipping issue but if the valves in the transmission aren't opening and closing as intended due to old/burnt fluid this may help that as well.

Let us know what you find.

·
2004 Camry LE
706 Posts
Four quarts is not enough for drain/refill. Two thirds of the original fluid still stayed in the transmission. I would do it at least two more times. This way more dirty fluid will be out. For your mileage that procedure was supposed to be done few more times before.

Good luck,
Sam

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Working on it now and learning what a bear these bolts are. Getting there though.

About the flush, is there any reason to use a new hose or can I just disconnect the return hose from the transmission and divert it to the container?

Here is the DIY I am following.

·
イリジウム
11,569 Posts
If the existing hose reaches sure just use it.

Are you changing out the felt filter? You should. Take care the proper o-ring placement.

So you have slip in 1st and sounds like slip-bang to 2nd, where RPM spins up and then the gear catches hard. Harder shift into R may mean the computer is upping the line pressure trying to compensate for the slips. P to D probably not as hard as 1st clutch is probably in poor shape.

A restricted filter leading to low line pressure may be a cause. I tell people don’t forget the felt filter. Wear in the valve body too. Wonder what’s left of the 1st gear friction.

But with a problem generally we try new filter and fluid first.165k miles isn’t bad for a problematic U-series transmission.

If new filter and fluid don’t help then you may be looking at rebuild or putting in a reman. Check rockauto.

If needed find a reputable ATRA shop, some can be duds so check references.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: New filter, new o-ring, new gasket, clean pan, and clean magnets are all in place. Pumped all the old fluid out and replaced with new fluid. Levels are good. Still have the same issue. It does shift from P to L and back much smoother, but still slips in first. The slip is at it's worst just when it should be shifting to second and then BAM hard shift to second.

Thanks for all the help. I wish this had solved the issue but I'm glad to have given it a shot.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
When my 01 Ody has trans issues, we used Lubegard Red. Used that for a long time until trans got worse, and then got a rebuilt tranny. Still use this additive in all our vehicles as preventitive maint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: New filter, new o-ring, new gasket, clean pan, and clean magnets are all in place. Pumped all the old fluid out and replaced with new fluid. Levels are good. Still have the same issue. It does shift from P to L and back much smoother, but still slips in first. The slip is at it's worst just when it should be shifting to second and then BAM hard shift to second.

Thanks for all the help. I wish this had solved the issue but I'm glad to have given it a shot.
Forgot to mention the fluid was very dark, the filter was extremely clogged, and the magnets had a good bit of metal on them.

·
イリジウム
11,569 Posts
Looks like a restricted filter resulting in burned up clutches did it in. That’s what usually happens if not old neglected fluids on an otherwise good transmission. Was the felt filter ever changed? What was the fluid change schedule? T-IV was a mediocre Dino fluid.

There were also lots of computer problems in the early to mid 2000s that caused burned clutches. But that was mostly in RAV4s, although there were reports in other models. Given 165k miles I’d think less likely a computer problem. What were the symptoms before it started slipping?

As far as additional diagnosis, a shop with TechStream should be able to reset the transmission memory. That won’t help burned clutches but just another step before digging deeper,

If that doesn’t change things, I probably wouldn’t bother testing solenoids (another step in the verification process) or mess with the valve body, since clutches are likely the reason but you could.

If the engine and chassis are in good shape, consider putting in a reman (not a local el cheapo rebuilt or junkyard crapshoot) transmission from rockauto. Verify they still give you 3-yr/100k mike warranty if you don’t use a shop to install. If you can do the swap it’ll be about $2k. I guess maybe add $800 labor if a shop does it? Dunno. But that might be too much for an old car.

Or maybe you want to try rebuilding it yourself? Yours should be the U241e, pick up an ATSG repair manual (~$30) and look over it.

Forgot to mention the fluid was very dark, the filter was extremely clogged, and the magnets had a good bit of metal on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
JohnGD
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing