Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 89 celica GT and I've been thinking about buying drilled or slotted rotors, but I've heard they brake down quicker and are much worse than stock rotors. Is it true, or are they worth the extra money? Also, what pads are the best for them? In fact, what pads are best for even regular rotors to decrease the amount of brake dust. Please help me because I need to change those brakes quick. Thanks everybody!!

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
They crack easier... thats about it. I don't think there is much of a performance difference if you ask me. Most people do it for looks.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks. Just one quick question. What brake pads are best for regular stock rotors to reduce the amount of brake dust?

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Info here:
http://www.ebcbrakes.com

Properly slotted and break in rotor doesn't crack. Same as x-drilled. They help release gas trap between pad and rotor. Hot expanding gas will push pad away from rotor and you lose brake.
The rotor DOESN'T improve braking power. The pad does. Good rotor helps the pad work to its potential.
Get semi-metalic pads, KVR is good, EBC the best. Do not buy racing pads, they don't work well or at all at low temp.
I thought you need to heat up the ceramic before it'll get good braking :confused:

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Pineapple said:
They help release gas trap between pad and rotor. Hot expanding gas will push pad away from rotor and you lose brake.
The rotor DOESN'T improve braking power.
That was 40 years ago when naturall compounds were still used in the fabrication off brake pads that, during braking and with heat it would cause gasing making the pad loose contact with the rotor surface.

Depends on the rotor, bigger rotors with bigger calipers will yield greater braking power because off the extra surface.

I suggest everyone who wants to know a llittle a more on brajes read through this thread at the Altima forum... I'm sure all doubts will be cleared... it's an old thread but it's probably one of the best material I've read on brakes. :D

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=32327

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
New pads still produce gas when they fade and the organic binding compond vapourize. Another gas source is water. Another one is just air trapped on pad get heat up and expand. Don't think you'll totally lose brake but a sudden lose is enough for accident when you're braking hard.

Damn long post there. Go straight to page 3 :p:

·
Nuckin Futs
72 Posts
Slotted rotors are generally said to be better than cross drilled rotors. Cross drilled ones can crack at high temps,while the slotted ones are a bit stonger. Both types of discs dissipate heat much better than standard vented or solid discs. When upgrading your rotors,you may as well do the pads and sometimes upgrade even the calipers.

·
Thug Engineering ST185's
60 Posts
the slots "extract" the pad gas out of the disk to increase cooling,

the drills do the same out of the disk whilst rotating..

so improved heat disipation and increase the braking as fade "reduced"

======

downside

the grooves take the contact layer off the pad when it hits the disk to prevent glazing so a soft pad will have a reduced life..

do you need to have upgraded pads as well as disk

otherwise the disk will not get to optimum temp wi the pads and or the pads will over heat as not gripping enough to stop the car..

this leads onto the groove and drill are actually less surface area on teh disk for the pad to grip on as well so upgraded pads again should be installed as the std one will now have to do more work and counteract above...

this brake debate is a bit of a can of worms on a 50/50 split depending on the preference and driving style of the owner of the car..

i presonally would install the items as having warped STD solid vented under hard driving isnt a nice pedal feel as they get hotter and fade increases!!!!

Stu!

·
Registered
207 Posts
lcarocha said:
I suggest everyone who wants to know a llittle a more on brajes read through this thread at the Altima forum... I'm sure all doubts will be cleared... it's an old thread but it's probably one of the best material I've read on brakes. :D

http://www.altimas.net/forum/showthread.php?threadid=32327

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great read! Long, but it's worth it to go all the way through. Yet another example of ricers stubbornly defending their position while being proved wrong over and over again by experienced people who really know their stuff. The world would be a better place without people like this. I will be sure to refer this to anyone who considers OE replacement drilled or slotted rotors a "performance upgrade"

- Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts