Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
To prevent blown fuses

12 V
  • Do not use an accessory that uses more than 12 v 10 a.

• 120 vac
  • Do not use a 120 vac appliance that requires more than 100 w.
If a 120 vac appliance that consumes more than 100 w is used, the protection circuit will cut the power supply.

Converting 12VDC to 120VAC requires a lot of input amps...P=I*V. So to get 100W at 120VAC (assuming no conversion loss) it will take 8.3 amps of 12VDC.

·
Registered
2016 Highlander LE +, 2004 Highlander Limited 4WD
186 Posts
The average "crock-pot" is around 250 Watts. Sounds like a no-go on using the 120 plug for this purpose. :-/

·
I wrench, therefore I am!
1,701 Posts
Bummer thanks
Depends on the size of the crock. Look at the electrical info on the bottom of the crock pot you are thinking of using. Maybe a 1 qt.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You can do this but it will require some investment. You need an inverter that puts out about 25% more watts than the slow cooker. You will have to hard wire to the battery wire that will carry the current to your inverter. Something like 30A at 12V. Then plug your crock pot into the inverter. Bada Bing!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your better option would be to cook the chili, then store it in a Cold/Hot bag or a "YETI" type ice chest to keep the temp as warm as possible then heating when get to your event.
Yep, cook it ahead of time and then maybe put it in one of these 12v cooler/warmer things. It will supposedly heat up to 140F.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do not know if it's a viable option for your, but installing an inverter of the appropriate wattage might work. My large crockpot is rated at 300W.

You might need some electrical know-how in order to get it wired up so that it will work. I would not recommend using the "power plugs" if you're pulling that much current.

Good luck
Exco

·
Registered
1 Posts
We use these when we travel. Just plug it in and go. We have both the large and the mini. The mini is good for 2 people. I've cooked from raw ingredients and also brought meals that I had previously frozen. HotLogic Portable Food Warmer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.