Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Custom User Title
1992 Corolla Dx 84k
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
everytime i start the car the gauge takes more then a minute to move where it is supposed to be. when i fill up the tank it takes a little less time but slowly climbs. is this the sending unit??

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
Thats just the way it is. Word is that the cluster with the tach on it keeps it in one spot.
True.

On the LE Clusters (tach clusters), the fuel gauge stays put when you turn the car off. Versus the regular, non-tach cluster which goes to E when the car is turned off. But both move at the same rate.

That's how it is. Now if it doesn't move at all, that's a problem.

Reactions: 65Pontiac

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
It is a simple float sender unit, and it is not mounted in the center of the tank, so I guess they made it like that so it doesn't fluctuate with high "G" forces, like accellerating, braking and turning.

Reactions: 65Pontiac

·
Custom User Title
1992 Corolla Dx 84k
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys. good thing they didnt center it, masterminds over at toyota.

my pontiac has a floater unit also but its shoots right up compared to the corolla which is as fast as its 0-60

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
3,042 Posts
Actually, it mounts in the middle, off to the forward side, but the float itself is off to the left.
That is probably because thye pump is in the center to the rear, and it is surrounded by the baffle chamber, which goes forward into the center.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased a 90 Corolla a few days ago, drove it home and then put $10 of fuel in, near my home. While putting in the fuel, I left the car running and after I went in the pay, I came out, got in the car, and the needle was still rising. SLOWLY at that. For me, it can take all the time it wants, as long as it's accurate. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts