Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
^^^^^Agreed with the statement above. Just tried out all modes this past week, and all I can say that Drive mode is the fastest out of all modes.

Sport mode is very useful when going uphill as you can increase the RPM range to zip through the hills.

Manual mode is just for fun. How I would use it is when I'm in the Drive mode from a complete stop, I slowly press the pedal, and after about a few seconds, I switch the shifter to M mode and you can make it feel "faster". Also a fun tool when going on the freeway since you can redline it all the way to speed limit.

Another tip: If your in drive mode, just press the left paddle shift (-) while driving and you can stimulate the same use of sport mode by throwing it to the highest gear possible. Basically, it your dash will show that your in D mode and in you press the left paddle shift, It will throw it to 3rd or 4th gear automatically so you can speed up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've noticed when I try to shift from 1st to 2nd, especially when the engine is cold, it won't shift at all, in terms of acting like a normal automatic or manual transmission. Once it warms up though, it's better.

I think that in the manual mode, the predefined ratios are just a suggestion, the computer can override if it's not safe to shift that way.

Occasionally it holds revs while accelerating, the CVT is probably changing ratios, but not holding them like you think they would in manual.

Also, if you're going for example 35mph in 3rd, and you switch to 4th but don't hit the gas the entire time, the CVT ratio won't change until you have your foot on the gas (cvt ratio doesn't change while engine braking)

·
Registered
2001 Corolla S
106 Posts
This transmission is absolutely terrible. There's no joy to driving this car because of it and my fuel economy isnt even that much better than the 10th gen auto we have in the family to warrant this change. Honestly atleast 2x a week I dread having bought a 2nd 2014 when my first one was totalled because of this trans and sadly depreciation has hit this car hard after just one year of ownership. Given all that, as hard as I have to be on this car to drive it given traffic conditions here I really question how long this trans will actually last.
Too bad Toyota didn't develop a 6 to 8-speed tranny like VW has done with the DSG. I can't handle a CVT in hilly San Diego, need fast starts and ability to race between stoplights or will get run over. Would buy the manual, but wife doesn't like it. I'm coming from a 2001 Corolla with 4-sp tranny. May get the 2016 Corolla LE 4-sp auto, or just go back to a VW Jetta w/ 6-sp DSG, or wait for the Jetta VII next year with 7-sp DSG....

21 - 23 of 23 Posts