Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Highlander V6. Haven't had any really cold weather yet but even when it's is the 40,s, the temp guage takes much longer than my other v6 Toyotas to come up to normal and it never quite gets to the 3:00 position. It is closer to the line just below. In fact, it spends quite a long time below that line during warm up. Dealer says if anything was wrong that I would get a check engine light but they will glad to check it when I can leave it over night so that the engine is cold. Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
yep, its pretty standard. have you owned a v6 camry? they're pretty much the same. They warm up slower than the i4 toyotas. I do notice that the temp needle does not reach the middle, unless we've driven it in warm weather or hard. it's the same with our 01 corolla. Although my 98 camry tends to be right in the middle once warmed up.

I wouldnt worry about it so long as the car is working smoothly. I wish it would heat up faster as im freezing when driving our cam/HL just waiting 10 minutes for the darn thing to warm up.haha

so no worries, its normal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I leave it in 3rd or 4th gear (OD off) to keep the revs moderately high (but under 4000 rpms) in the city before I creep onto the highway. That helps a bit but you do waste a bit of gas due to friction though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep, mine as well takes awhile to warm up. Then it drives in higher rpm's I think to try and warm itself up and has rough shifts until the temp is above 1/4. It even takes a couple of minutes in 90 degree heat.

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
warm-up

You could investigate installing an engine block heater in the engine. I've had them as factory options on several cars (Ford Expedition & PT Cruiser) and they were invaluable in the winter. These cars sat outside, and starting them up in the morning after having them plugged in during the winter REALLY gave me very quick heat. These heaters usually take the place on a freeze-out plug in the engine block, and feature a male-ended electric cord. You merely plug it into an extension cord and you're set. I wish my Highlander had one, as that sits out, but I usually just start it up and let it run for 10 minutes or so before I hop in and that's good enough, but I do miss the block heater.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts