Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

recently i saw a product for cleaning engine sludge. It's not like those commonly used for cleaning (added to old oils and then let the engine run at idle). It is used as a temporary replacement for engine oil: drain the old oil, add it to the engine (of about the same volume we regularly use), let the engine run at idel for about 15 minutes. It claims to guard against reduced oil pressure due to sludge.

What do you think of this idea?

·
Toy-Cel
618 Posts
Like that Slick50 treatment stuff???

where you drain the old oil, add the treatment, run the engine a little, drain, and add new oil back in....

Ive always wondered if that actually helps......... :confused:

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Its a engine oil flush. Flushing it every year helps to keep engine clean and running smooth. I used CD2 additive which clean while you drive with good result. My gas milage get better. Of course nothing beats a complete rebuild. One thing, the engine might start to leak oil after the flush. Its because the flush clean all the crap that blocking cracks and broken seals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nah, don't bother with that stuff. Just change your oil every 3000 km and you'll be okay. The engine flush stuff is often made of solvents that are harsh on seals inside the engine. If you're intent on flushing the engine, I'd rather buy some dino oil and a cheapo oil filter, drive for a day, and then change the oil again using what you regularly use. Here in Canada, one of our leading retail stores recently had a deal where they gave a free fram oil filter with the purchase of 4L of Castrol. I bought some, used the cheapo filter, and flushed my engine the same way I described above before putting back my regular oil and using an OE filter. :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts