Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my VC gasket, distributor hole plug, PCV grommet, and tube seal gaskets on Saturday, and it turned out just fine. Got rid of that pesky oil leak dripping on the trans, looks like it was leaking long before I bought the car. All nice and neat now. BUT...NO SLUDGE ANYWHERE IN THE HEAD!!! YEA!!! Not a smidgen! Just the normal light brown varnish at 168K...I almost danced around the car!!! If this car won't go 300K, I'll beat myself!! I use Castrol GTX 5W-30, OEM filter, and 2K OCI's. She belches some burnt oil after sitting for several hours, but that's normal at this mileage. It will be years before I foul a plug. Got all my parts from Gary at Newnan Toyota.

·
A camry n00b
390 Posts
:nopics:

·
Registered
59 Posts
After hearing how this engine is sludge prone, I was also relieved when I saw how clean it is when I had the valve cover off to replace the gasket and cam plug. Just very slight varnish. Here are some picture. It's a 2000 camry.

Around 5k OCI, Dino

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
well, not everybody gets so lucky. this is how mine looked like at ~64k miles a year ago, and that is after sea foaming:

generally very clean, but you can see some streaks of balck sludge here and there (left overs from former condition i'm sure).

this is how underside of valve cover looked alike (note black streaks):

i guess the previous owner was not quite following the OCI :facepalm:

·
Ex-Master Diagnostic tech
15 Ram 1500 Diesel
435 Posts
There are numerous misconceptions with this engine and the v6 regarding sludge.
1.If you did your oil changes at 3k using quality conventional oil and factory filter you didn't have a problem-Very true. I NEVER saw a 4 or 6 with any sludge at all which had 3k oil changes.
2.If you used a quality synthetic and changed it at 7.5k like the book said you didn't have a problem-Mostly true. The problem here was if you had a engine which consumed 1/2 quart per 1000, you were down over 3 quarts at a 7.5k interval. Considering the 4 cyl cars were 3.75 quart capacity, you were asking for it unless you checked and added as needed.
3.Most sludge engines rarely had the oil changed-Very true-This was a customer abuse issue for the most part. I personally replaced 20 V-6 and 4 cyl engines with sludge issues with the original filter on them when it rolled off the showroom floor. You could tell because of the dash marks and part number. Few of the ones with a problem had issues if the oil and filter was changed.
4.There was a problem with oil consumption on these engines which caused the oil to go low and cook-True to an extent. Toyota's valve seals were so-so. However if you uses quality synthetics or did 3k oil changes with conventional you had no problems.
5.Earlier toyota engines never had this happen-False-I replaced several 2.5 v-6, 2.0 4 cyl and even tercel, corolla and early 3.0 truck engines for this. I even did a few 22r-e with sludge-lack of oil change.

Moral of the story is use a quality conventional and change it every 3k or use a quality synthetic and change it every 7.5k. Check the oil every 1k. Do this and have no problems.

FYI-I am a former Toyota MDT with 28 years experience. I currently own a 02 tacoma with over 120k which has the oil changed using Amsoil's finest at 15k, filters at 7.5k. The engine looks like new inside. The truck uses no oil and will be with me for a long time.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
well, not everybody gets so lucky. this is how mine looked like at ~64k miles a year ago, and that is after sea foaming:

generally very clean, but you can see some streaks of balck sludge here and there (left overs from former condition i'm sure).

this is how underside of valve cover looked alike (note black streaks):

i guess the previous owner was not quite following the OCI :facepalm:
Look totally normal and ok. You should see how the others look like when oil sludge present

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
Look totally normal and ok. You should see how the others look like when oil sludge present
those pictures were taken after sea foaming the car and running synthetic oil for a year on it (was only cheap dino every 3k before since i bought it at 35k).

how do i know it was much dirtier before in past? because at some point oil started coming out black always no matter how if i was doing oil change after 500 miles or 3000 miles.
I didn't pull valve cover to see it, but i could tell difference by looking into the oil filter opening in past and now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I bought an 05 4runner with the 4.0 that had been replaced at a Toyota dealership because of sludging. I only found this out after pulling the history on the vehicle. The paperwork said the customer "complained of a knocking noise". The engine was replaced by the dealer with a used one. The mileage on the original engine was at about 55k when this happened. It was probably the original oil! I bought it with about 78k on it, drove it for 5 months and sold it to Carmax for $500.00 more than I bought it for.

My friend that works at Toyota as an advisor said he had never seen a 4.0 with this problem.

I have always wanted an Avalon, but have heard some real horror stories about these cars and sludging. I guess the key is to buy one with all the records or atleast buy from the original owner so you can ask some questions. These cars that get traded or bought at auction may just be there for a reason. I do like that now you can get all records for any work done on a Toyota from Toyota. Not just warranty work, but even self pay. Of course if the person didn't do it at the dealership this doesn't help.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
I do like that now you can get all records for any work done on a Toyota from Toyota. Not just warranty work, but even self pay. Of course if the person didn't do it at the dealership this doesn't help.
hey, i need that. I have lost all the dealer receipts for work done by prev owner on my 02 solara v6 right after purchase :facepalm: ... misplaced them somewhere even before looking thoroughly through ... :facepalm:

can i go to any Toyota dealer to retrieve those records (e.g. in Jersey)? or only the original dealer that performed the service (in Florida) can give me copies ...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
you can ask the dealer or go to toyota.com login under owners web, you should able to pull everything out (maynot be the FULL history, in my case I have my car served since 97 but online record only available from 2005)

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
grandpapa, thanks for the tip on toyotaowners (i used it once for 00 solara in past), i forgot about it, will check what its Service Records show on my 02 solara.

nice!
it shows me dealer work done on car since 2007, good! that's pretty much what i needed.

·
Registered
121 Posts
oil leak

Be sure to check the oil pump o-ring...I just worked on the same engine, same year that has an oil leak...it is really leaking around the oil pump housing and dripping off the passengers side of the rear of the engine...check it out !

artie

I did my VC gasket, distributor hole plug, PCV grommet, and tube seal gaskets on Saturday, and it turned out just fine. Got rid of that pesky oil leak dripping on the trans, looks like it was leaking long before I bought the car. All nice and neat now. BUT...NO SLUDGE ANYWHERE IN THE HEAD!!! YEA!!! Not a smidgen! Just the normal light brown varnish at 168K...I almost danced around the car!!! If this car won't go 300K, I'll beat myself!! I use Castrol GTX 5W-30, OEM filter, and 2K OCI's. She belches some burnt oil after sitting for several hours, but that's normal at this mileage. It will be years before I foul a plug. Got all my parts from Gary at Newnan Toyota.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Do the math; If these are the most sold car in the US and other places, go figure that some will fall into the hands of those who do nothing to maintain them.

Of that handful (X 1000 due to quantity sold) you find them here because they do indeed have issues brought upon by neglect.

The ECU is capable preserving the the engine against stupid people as far as sensors dying, detonation, bad gas, over heating (results in limp mode ect), but it can't change the oil for those who neglect them who don't do the most basic function => oil changes!

The fact that 15 and 20 year old cars are running on original engines says the car is capable if cared for properly. Of course there will be exception. . .

People Kill Cars! Its that simple.

BTW: I'd have to agree 100% with hevster1's post. :thumbsup:

73Sport
95 1MZ-FE at 227,xxx miles. . . . No major engine repairs. . . .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts