Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small drip coming from the circled part in the pic. It seems to be a greenish color fluid. What part is it that I circled?
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

The leak appears to be coming from your transfer case output seal.
Thanks! Just got back from the dealership and they said there is no leak. Frustrating.... Every night on my garage floor there are a few drips.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Take a picture and hand it to them, it's your second attempt to get it fixed, after the third you may have lemon law actions available to you legally. They will pay attention or buy the vehicle back, most same people would then decide it's cheaper to fix it, maybe they can come over and clean up their mess in your garage. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take a picture and hand it to them, it's your second attempt to get it fixed, after the third you may have lemon law actions available to you legally. They will pay attention or by the vehicle back, most same people would then decide it's cheaper to fix it, maybe they can come over and clean up their mess in your garage. :)
Thats the funny thing, I sent them pics and video before they looked at it so they would know where to look. I also sent more pics when I got home after I wiped it down and there is oil on the rag. He said HE has to see it, a pic doesn't matter.

·
Vendor
92 Posts
Thats the funny thing, I sent them pics and video before they looked at it so they would know where to look. I also sent more pics when I got home after I wiped it down and there is oil on the rag. He said HE has to see it, a pic doesn't matter.
Is the car still under warranty? If not, try taking it to an independent shop. That leak looks pretty obvious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the car still under warranty? If not, try taking it to an independent shop. That leak looks pretty obvious.
I have 41k and its a 2017 but that leak would fall under the 6 year powertrain. So I have to have the dealer admit its leaking and fix it if I want it fixed for free.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla LE - Celestite (1K3) / Black (FB20)
204 Posts
I have 41k and its a 2017 but that leak would fall under the 6 year powertrain. So I have to have the dealer admit its leaking and fix it if I want it fixed for free.
Just let them know that if they don't address it, you will just take your business in the future to another dealership. They probably won't care, but hey that's the only leverage you have.

Also, this seems to be a pretty common leak and it's in all honesty not that difficult to fix. Maybe an hour of book time and the seal is probably pretty cheap.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would the "greenish" fluid indicate a cooling system leak ? What explanation of the cause did your receive, if any ?
Toyota used to run a transfer case cooler on their vehicles, but I think it was through an isolated/remote cooling unit.

Toyota spec antifreeze has been pink or red for quite some time.

This is 100% a leaking transfer case rear seal. I am pretty sure Toyota transfer case oil is high molybdenum which will have a blueish green tinge to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took your advice and went to another dealership. They are fixing it under the power train warranty. It ended up being a front and rear transfer case seal leak. It’s an 8 hour fix I guess. It amazes me how one dealership can say there are no issues and everything is bone dry, even when I show them pictures. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I took your advice and went to another dealership. They are fixing it under the power train warranty. It ended up being a front and rear transfer case seal leak. It’s an 8 hour fix I guess. It amazes me how one dealership can say there are no issues and everything is bone dry, even when I show them pictures. Thanks for all the help!
Good for you man! Man, 8 hours of book time or was it in the shop for 8 hours? I haven't been under my coworker's 4Runner, but maybe you have to to drop some of the front end components to get the front driveshaft off? I will have to take a look! The rear is a fairly simple job.

Glad that you got it fixed while it was still under warranty! F the first dealership.

I know that warranty work typically gets paid out at a lower rate, but it sounds like they lost a customer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good for you man! Man, 8 hours of book time or was it in the shop for 8 hours? I haven't been under my coworker's 4Runner, but maybe you have to to drop some of the front end components to get the front driveshaft off? I will have to take a look! The rear is a fairly simple job.

Glad that you got it fixed while it was still under warranty! F the first dealership.

I know that warranty work typically gets paid out at a lower rate, but it sounds like they lost a customer.
8 hours of work time. It took them 5 minutes to locate the leak and inform me. I guess they have to drop a bunch of stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts