Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed a tiny oil leak on the garage floor so decided to check under the vehicle. Found a small bead of oil leaking near the front middle of the car. Can anyone help diagnose what is leaking and potential solutions from the attached photos? The vehicle is 2010 Camry LE 4-cylinder.

Looks like a very minor leak at this point, but I would like to know if something like Bluedevil oil stop will work or if this will require a more serious repairs now or later.

20190910_162318[1].jpg

20190910_162303[1].jpg

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Are you using a quality high-mileage oil? I've seen it stop (at least for a good while) a valve cover leak, likewise dripping from where the trans meets the engine, after the oil being in a few months. Valvoline MaxLife semi and full-synthetic (red and gray), are a good examples.

·
3,406 Posts
That is a weep hole kind of thing under the tranny, if I am seeing it right. Inside there is the front oil seal (rear oil seal? I can't recall the orientation) that sits behind the drive plate, sealing up the opening where the shaft connects the crank to the torque converter. That is probably where it is leaking. I have had a similar slow tiny kind of thing like that forever, even after putting in the rebuilt engine. It is possible the oil is running down some surface and winding up there, the lowest point for it to travel to.

Tranny fluid can also leak out from the CV axle shafts and run to that spot. If you are certain it is motor oil then that is not a cv axle seal leak.

If it is the engine seal the only way to get to it is to remove the engine, as you have to remove the drive plate to replace it. A small dollar seal, just a crap ton of work to get to.

Clean the engine and look for any other evidence of a leak that may be running down to that location, and if something as simple as the valve cover gasket you can fix that. Keep an eye on the oil level and if the leak becomes horrible then you can opt to attack it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think SF is probably right. Leakage at AT seal behind the torque converter would also show up in this area but would have the reddish ATF color of Type IV fluid. Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your kind input. I am providing some feedback/update based on the suggestions posted:
  • Continuous Leaking: Yes, I cleaned the surface couple months back and checked again before posting.
  • High Quality Oil: I use Mobil 1 oil specific for Japanese brand cars with corresponding Mobil 1 filter (Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil).
  • Oil Level: Last oil change was done in April and current level still shows full, so wherever its leaking from is very minor. (Only couple drops in months)
Something to note, for the past couple years this vehicle has rarely been driven. In fact, in 2018, the car was in storage for almost the full year while traveling. Current mileage on the vehicle is ~90k so I would say its still fairly young in its life cycle. I was hoping that this was a case of a dried seal somewhere due to low use and since the potential cost for full diagnosis and fix seems unjustifiable compared to its actual usage, I decided to try using the BlueDevil product first and see if this could be a quick fix for my particular situation.

I poured the entire bottle as directed and let the car idle for 2 hours to circulate the product. I've then asked my wife to drive the car to work for the week (~400 mi total) and it seems to have stopped the leak so far. Checked the oil level and its still showing full, so I am hoping that a dried seal somewhere was the cause and the product was able to rejuvenate the seal as intended. I will keep an eye out to see if this will be a temporary fix or not, but so far it seems to be working.

·
Registered
74 Posts
  • High Quality Oil: I use Mobil 1 oil specific for Japanese brand cars with corresponding Mobil 1 filter (Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil).
I appreciate the fact that you are using a quality oil, however, I'm suggesting using a quality 'high-mileage' oil that has seal conditioners. From the Mobil1 website for their "High Mileage" oil:

Also, you've written that you don't use it much, are you changing the oil once a year?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
AlanAZ
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing