1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2021 XLE
owned it for almost exactly one year
34000KM.

Found a small rust spot on my trunk yesterday. Its rust discolored on the exterior side of the car, the actual rust spot seems to be on the painted inside of the lip. I tried to take a picture of the actual rust spot, but my pic was too blurry to be useful. Pretty confident this isn't a stone chip or anything driving related since its in a spot that it would be pretty unlikely that anything would be hit with road debris (i.e. stone chip). If you run your finger over it, you can feel the rust.

I've owned a lot of new cars, but this is actually a first. Any thoughts on if I have warranty coverage here. It is corrosion, but its not a perforation so I'm not sure if it falls under there. My guess is that this spot didn't have the paint properly applied, so maybe paint defect warranty?

I know I can clean it up myself pretty easily, but I've got a regular service appointment next week so I figure its worth seeing if Toyota will save me the hassle of doing it myself...

I know the picture is hard to get the reference spot. If you are facing the rear hatch, its the outer edge of the hatch at about roughly the height of the license plate. A pretty unlikely spot to have been dinged or anything like that.

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive mirror

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive mirror

·
Registered
14 Posts
As with many vehicles the inside edge of the hatch lid up to the gaskets always accumulates some water after a rain or car wash. I try to wipe off the inside after car washes, maybe best to also do it after rainfall.

In your case, the rust seems to be from under the edge gasket which can accumulate water and be hard to remove. If there was a paint imperfection or ding during manufacturing it could easily rust. I think that the dealer will have to remove the gasket to inspect. I would expect that this is a defect that would be Toyota's responsibility. My wife had her Toyota Matrix hood replaced when weld/paint defects rusted up from underneath the hood. She also got a free loaner for a week.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
'21 Venza xle '20 Highlander Pl
838 Posts
.02 Highly unlikely a factory defect. Examine area under the edge gasket as referenced above and see if there is no damage other than the extreme edge of the lid.

If so, my guess is that someone worked on the lid with a polishing wheel and burned through the clear coat and most of the color coat exposing the area to rust. Saw one of the dealer's people doing just that trying to polish out a brid crap stain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I managed to get a better shot of it today. I know in the picture closer to my nail it looks like there might be some corrosion, but that area is fine. There is only the chip on the edge.

It would have been pretty hard to cause this with a buffer wheel, its a pretty tight space to get into. i.e. you'd really have to be jamming it in there. Not to mention, I kinda doubt anyone has ever really "buffed" this car. I know I've not done it, and I'm the original owner. I think for our PDI they just high pressure wash it...
I doubt this is cause by a bang either. I would expect an impact would have chipped the paint at the side of the trunk, not back recessed in this place.

Wood Finger Material property Tints and shades Electric blue

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm expecting the dealer to tell me to go pound sand so I'll have to do some clean up myself. I'm just glad its in a pretty inconspicuous spot. I generally suck at minor paint repairs. Just don't want it getting worse.

·
Registered
'21 Venza xle '20 Highlander Pl
838 Posts
Before playing with paint....

Sure it is rust and not a film of dried road crud on top of the paint on the drip edge of the lid? That gasket looks like it has a good amount of crud sucked up and dripped along the trunk lid. Might seem like rust but maybe a little polishing compound world remove. Try a non abrasive like Windex/soap and pressure from a cloth if worried about making it worse.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before playing with paint....

Sure it is rust and not a film of dried road crud on top of the paint on the drip edge of the lid? That gasket looks like it has a good amount of crud sucked up and dripped along the trunk lid. Might seem like rust but maybe a little polishing compound world remove. Try a non abrasive like Windex/soap and pressure from a cloth if worried about making it worse.
I'll definitely give that a try first, but its looks like corrosion to me. the rest of the gasket is actually quite clean. Nothing at all like the picture makes it seem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took the vehicle in yesterday for my service check. They were supposed to look at it and evaluate it, but when I picked it up, they had just cleaned it up and touched it up. The comment was, "lets keep an eye on it for now".
I'm not unhappy about what they did. I'm actually happy I didn't have to do it myself. Their work is completely no noticeable. Gut feel is that I'll probably talking with them about this again summer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts