Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Yes

Votes: 10 47.6%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
isn't it funny how eveiromentally safe things cost so much:lol: like non toxic antifreeze:disappoin

i would get one for on base driving and the accasional movie

·
Registered
73 Posts
the 0-60 iv heard is dangrously slow, and the car has to be so light, if you got hit by an suv, it would be like someone kicking a football.... och...

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the SMART is a step in teh right direction getting ppl to rethink buying oversized cars unecessarily. I personally wouldn't by it for several reasons. First, it's not that cheap for what you're (not) getting. Secondly, despite meeting safety standards, I doubt it'd fare well in a serious crash.

I'd much rather buy a two wheeled vehicle like a scooter or motorcycle before getting a Smart. They're cheaper. Have similar carrying capacities. Equally fuel efficient. Cheaper carrying costs (insurance and maintanance).

It will enter the U.S. market with a Formore four-passenger, four-wheel-drive model in 2006.
This sounds a bit more interesting though.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
I'd hit it.

Sure it's expensive, but you'd proably make it back in a few years from fuel savings.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
^I've heard that it is very very hard to make back that extra couple g's that you paid for hybrid or whatever. Its not really worth the extra cash but it does save the environment. :thumbup:

·
it was all a dream
4,204 Posts
I'd probably drive one if everyone else in the city was driving them, or an equally small hatchback (like in Europe).

With the sheer number of SUV's and large cars in North America, i would never drive a Smart.

·
Doh!
138 Posts
Ratko said:
I'd probably drive one if everyone else in the city was driving them, or an equally small hatchback (like in Europe).

With the sheer number of SUV's and large cars in North America, i would never drive a Smart.

exactly!

It is extremely small fro NA cities imagine how scarry it would be driving next to a semi.

FYI Windsor is going to have the first Smart dealership.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
Ratko said:

they are interesting little cars...one guy here in Dallas actually has one and drives it around.

i don't think i would want to drive it here though due to all the SUV's and Pickups we have down here that drive like idiots. i can't count the amount of times that someone in an SUV tries to merge into me when i am driving my MR2 and its not even as small as a Smart :eek:

Keri

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
Part of the 5 star rating is that this car is effectively a roll cage on wheels. They are designed to bounce to a great extent, instead of folding like a pop can. Large vehicles do little damage to occupants from it, and the restraint systems keep the bodies in the right places to avoid serious injury.

Of course, teh rear subframe and engine assembly are considered a crumple zone, as is the front suspension assembly. One hit to writeoff...BTW, according to Mercedes at the autoshow this year, the engine is removable for basic service (whole subframe is dropped out...4 bolts...

Bob

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Thats way better than the stupid Ford THINK!. Those are like golf carts.... down here at the beach everyone has one. I drive an MR2... you think I'm worried about getting ran over?

·
Repatriated POW
226 Posts
The brabus edition is probably the better looking/performing one.

But crazy credit to the little go-kart looking one.

I would boot that around like a rally car racer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts