Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Highlander LP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so thought this was interesting. while at work yesterday my wife notified me that her purse was locked in the car. we have smart keys! how does this happen!? after replaying the events in my head i remembered i locked the HL the night before using the door handle touch method (my smart key was in my pocket). when i locked the car i didn't realize my wife's purse (with her smart key) was in the car.

i know when i have tried to lock the doors before with my smart key inside the car lets out a long beep and flashes 'key located in car' alert on the center display. so im wondering how/why this happened! could it be that my smart key over-rides her smart key since i was outside the car when commanding the lock function? has anyone else had similar experiences? i am going to go out and play around with various scenarios this weekend.

PS: my wife wasnt pressed to go out so she just waited for me to return home from work but i had encouraged her to use the SOS service (safety connect) and ask them to unlock it remotely. she didnt call them. shoot, i may do it just to see how well it works!

·
MY14 HL Ltd Plt Creme Bru
2014 HL Ltd Plt
67 Posts
Yep, I don't see why it wouldn't. You can be in the car or stand close to the car and lock it. This is from my 2013 Altima smart key experience. Only instance I notice that my Altima smart key wouldn't lock is if it was in the trunk. This save me many times as I often forget my keys in my golf bag. I believe they are different sensors.

I'd go review the Tech Stream thread to see maybe it can be program to no lock when the key is in proximity.

·
Registered
Toyota
719 Posts
strange right? With the smart key, this shouldn't lock the vehicle if it senses it to be inside the car. with my other car if you try to lock it with the keys inside it will beep for a long time until you press the alarm again. . .

·
Registered
2014 Highlander LP
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys! i thought i locked it using the handle only but it is possible i used the remote to lock it thus over-riding the fact that my wife's key was in the car. speaking of...when she brings the HL back tonight ill test it out!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just a general questions will the doors autolock if you forget to lock them? (No keys inside the car)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
No, but if you use the key fob to unlock it and never open a door then it will self-lock within a set amount of time (adjustable in the settings).

·
Registered
2015 Highlander LTD
385 Posts
This would solve a problem I have had with my RX. My wife likes to sometimes leave her purse in the car. I try to lock the car and won't lock because her key is in her purse. So if I can lock the car using the remote this would actually be a good thing.

·
Driver
302 Posts
For clarity sake, I will refer to Key 1 (my key) and Key 2 (my wife's). Here's my observation with the both of us always having our keys with us.

The car will lock if I have Key 1 in my pocket even though Key 2 is inside the car (typically in her purse).
However, the car will NOT lock if I don't have Key 1 present in my pocket, and Key 2 is inside (if you try to lock using the door handle, it'll give you the long beep).

You cannot lock the doors using the door lock/unlock button on the inside driver door, while it's open, when it detects any key inside.

One thing I haven't tried is "accidentally" closing the tailgate while the key is inside. On BMW's and VW's, it will actually pop the trunk back out if it senses that the key is inside and the rest of the doors are locked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, I believe this is a safety feature. It happens occasionally to me. Basic circumstance is:
1) my smart key is in my purse,
2) my purse is in the car,
3) car is in locked garage at home,
4) husband has his smart key in his pocket...
5) husband is working on a project in garage that he is sitting on his mechanic stool. As he bends or turns, key fob gets the lock button pushed.
6) vehicle bleeps and blares, hubby ignores bleeping.
7) after a bit of time, the car computer assumes yeah, you really did mean to lock the car <because if you had not intended to lock the car with the key in it, you would have already opened the door, right?>
8) computer actives locks and locks car.
Only way to unlock car the; is use the key fob and either press the unlock button OR to pull the “traditional” key out of the fob and unlock the door. You know, old school...

I’m pretty sure the official version of this is in the owners manual. I was actually looking for an online version of the owners manual when I found this thread.
Best wishes & enjoy,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually, I believe this is a safety feature. It happens occasionally to me. Basic circumstance is:
1) my smart key is in my purse,
2) my purse is in the car,
3) car is in locked garage at home,
4) husband has his smart key in his pocket...
5) husband is working on a project in garage that he is sitting on his mechanic stool. As he bends or turns, key fob gets the lock button pushed.
6) vehicle bleeps and blares, hubby ignores bleeping.
7) after a bit of time, the car computer assumes yeah, you really did mean to lock the car <because if you had not intended to lock the car with the key in it, you would have already opened the door, right?>
8) computer actives locks and locks car.
Only way to unlock car the; is use the key fob and either press the unlock button OR to pull the “traditional” key out of the fob and unlock the door. You know, old school...

I’m pretty sure the official version of this is in the owners manual. I was actually looking for an online version of the owners manual when I found this thread.
Best wishes & enjoy,
And... yes, I did find online owners manual, and yes, I am correct.
“■ Security feature
If a door is not opened within approximately 60 seconds after the vehicle is
unlocked, the security feature automatically locks the vehicle again.”
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM35819U/pdf/OM35819U.pdf

Page 42

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.