Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Echo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 98 Corolla and, even though it's 11 years old, am in love with the car. My mechanic took a look at it and said I got a good deal. Just one problem... I filled it up when I got it home and now there's a smell of gas, especially on the underside of the car. We checked out the lines and the tank and couldn't find a leak. What might this be? I've got two days to return the car if it's a major problem.

Thanks.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
is the check engine soon light on? and did you check your gas cap, it may be loose or leaking. or your vent hose may be busted. there are a number of things that could be causing it, not all of them would entail fuel leaks.

·
98 Chevy prizm / Corolla
98 chevy prizm/corol
104 Posts
If you have 2 days to return the car, maybe you could take it back to them and tell them to fix it or give you your money back. thats probably what I would do. :)

·
Registered
Echo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There seem to be fumes in the cabin as well

My 98 Corolla performs like a top. As discussed earlier, there was the smell of gasoline after I filled up. I think there are also fumes in the cabin, as my mouth tastes funny and I have a headache. Please advise.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
is the check engine light on? and did you check the fuel cap?

·
Registered
Echo
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, engine light isn't on

No, the check engine light doesn't come on, and I'm not sure that the gas cap is loose, either.

·
Toyota Tech in training!
1999 toyota corolla
350 Posts
i'd take it back then. if you smell gas and the CEL isn't on then its the dealers problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts