Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the owner of a 2007 Yaris, which I purchased in late November. About 3 days ago I noticed a smell of what I thought might be burning oil. I'm not a mechanic, but it seems to me that this shouldn't be the case when I only have just over 3000 miles on it. I was planning on changing the oil this weekend, before I noticed the smell, even though the owner's manual suggests that it be changed at 5000 miles. Has anyone else had this problem, or knows what the problem could be?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was just going to ask if you had your oil changed and maybe it was just some that got spilt on the engine burning but I guesss that is not the case :thumbdown I would give it another couple days see if it is still there :confused: or look under your car after parking see if there is any leaking :thumbdown keep us updated

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

Just checked out the car with a friend of mine who is big into imports. This morning when I took it to class I could smell it again, but when I got home I couldn't smell it anymore, and when I took him out there with me neither of us could really smell anything. I don't know what the deal was, hopefully its gone. My friend seemed to think that somehow a little bit of oil spilled onto my exhaust, and we couldn't smell it anymore because it had burned completely off. It worries me that oil would be inexplicably spilling onto my exhaust, but as long as it doesn't happen again I guess I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You're probably better off waiting until the 5000miles before having your first oil change.

In my case, the smell is more akin to an exhaust and only happens once-in-awhile when I go down hard on the accelerator and redline the car. Funny thing is, I'd still get the smell, even when the recycle is set to ON.

The car now has 40,000km and I haven't noticed any unusual smell this winter. I wonder if it'll come back for the summer? If it does and in a bad way, I'd look into a warranty job. Especially if it involves the emission system. Otherwise, I wouldn't want those mechanics monkeying around with the stock stuff that's working fine. If it's not defective, the original stuff is usually significantly better then any after-market replacements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts