Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I started my car and there was a HUGE cloud of smoke that came out of the muffler. The smoke came all the way around the car and some came into the window. It was just white smoke...I searched and didn't really find anything. Is there a problem in my exhaust system???

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
stock93cam said:
Today I started my car and there was a HUGE cloud of smoke that came out of the muffler. The smoke came all the way around the car and some came into the window. It was just white smoke...I searched and didn't really find anything. Is there a problem in my exhaust system???
who knows man.. just dont drive it until you get it checked out- so you dont cause any further damage.

jon

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Smoke from exhaust(not blue)

jwa276 said:
who knows man.. just dont drive it until you get it checked out- so you dont cause any further damage.

jon
i have to drive it...i need to get to school

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Smoke from exhaust(not blue)

stock93cam said:
i have to drive it...i need to get to school
even so- you should try and find a ride until its fixed. driving with a blown head gasket is sooo bad for your head- it could warp it and need machining work, which is $$$$.

good luck man!

jon

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
white smoke is usually water\coolant isnt it ? i would say probably headgasket

-shook

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
is fixing a head gasket problem expensive?

edit: as far as i can tell it's only there when the car starts...in the morning i see it longer...probably just cause of the cold temp outside...oil temp gauge is normal...i hope this problem isnt serious

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
replacing the headgasket requires taking off the whole top half of the engine, im not sure how much shops charge though :( my brother and me do pretty much everything ourselves. Just get a whole headset (a gasket set that comes with pretty much all the gaskets for the top end of your motor) and check around for prices.. my brothers a mechanic and he said his shop would probably charge around $800.

-shook

·
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
stock93cam said:
is fixing a head gasket problem expensive?

edit: as far as i can tell it's only there when the car starts...in the morning i see it longer...probably just cause of the cold temp outside...oil temp gauge is normal...i hope this problem isnt serious
the reason why it would only shoot out lots of smoke only when the cars been sitting for a while might be because the leak is small and while the car is running its only burning a little of water at a time but when the car sits it builds up in the cyclinder and when you start it, it burns all at once.

-shook

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shook said:
the reason why it would only shoot out lots of smoke only when the cars been sitting for a while might be because the leak is small and while the car is running its only burning a little of water at a time but when the car sits it builds up in the cyclinder and when you start it, it burns all at once.

-shook
that makes sense...my dad is gonna call our mechanic in the morning and see if they have an opening for me to take the car in after school...hopefully nothing too bad is wrong

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
stock93cam said:
that makes sense...my dad is gonna call our mechanic in the morning and see if they have an opening for me to take the car in after school...hopefully nothing too bad is wrong
good call.. but just be prepared for the worst. sounds like the same problem i had when my head gasket blew. dealership cost for a top end rebuild: $1800 :rolleyes:

i will be hoping the best for ya though!!! good luck man!

jon

·
97 BlackWidowed
camry
626 Posts
mine do's it to, but its not a crazy amount of smoke, everytime it sits over night. toyota said oil sits in a cap in the valves and on start it burns... said its not hurting anything... the head would have to be replaced.. its not just my cam that do's it my mom's do's it to same year same engine. good luck thow

·
Traitor
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the mechanic had the camry all day...and says that he cant find anything wrong...should i belive him?

·
getn groceries in style
1,095 Posts
stock93cam said:
the mechanic had the camry all day...and says that he cant find anything wrong...should i belive him?
it could just be the leaking oil. usually a head gasket thats about to blow starts shuddering too upon startup (because 1 or more cylinders are burning coolant)- that reminds me... when theres smoke pouring out does the car's performance lack at all?? if it will rev/accelerate smoothly then i would say you dont have a serious problem on your hands. still wouldnt be a bad idea to ask another shop though.

jon

·
Registered
750 Posts
Has there been any signs of smoke since?

You can check the plugs, if they're wet (not oily) or one of them seems a lot cleaner than the others that would be another sign of coolant.

Keep an eye on the coolant and oil for levels and cross contamination.

A compression check probably wouldn't hurt either, or have the coolant side pressure checked. If you're losing pressure and don't see a leak, it would be internal.

Of course, any good mech who had the car for a whole day should have done all these things and probably more.

·
TN's Resident Goddess.
2007 Camry SE
6,090 Posts
Suggest a cold start...usually Toyota mechanics will take them home to test them (with customers consent of course!). My neighbor brings home his clients cars all the time... just make sure you trust your mechanic.
I def suggest you leave it overnight at the shop so they can replicate what you saw that morning.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts