Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on changing the starter on my friends 1996 Camry with about 150k miles.

I've read about the problems with the contact points in the starter solenoid. She said the starter kept running and she could not make it stop. This I'm surmising was the points burning, and was the source of the smoke.

With the starter running like that would it be burned up too? In other words new starter or just points.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If the starter was staying engaged and spinning, it probably only needs a solenoid replacement. Price of replacement reman starter probably isnt too high either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Price of replacement reman starter probably isnt too high either.
I'll probably just do that.

I've worked on Mercedes and Porsche for many years but not Toyota. So the question is: Will it be much of a job to replace starter? And does starter come out from the top of engine bay or from the bottom?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I went ahead and replaced it. As you said the job is super easy. What a pleasant surprise. I replaced it a friend of ours. She only has one car so she needed to have it fixed right away. I wanted to get a Denso but none are available locally. It would have taken at least 3 days to get a Denso even with so called overnight shipping. I used a Mexican reman. starter that cost $123 with tax and came with a lifetime warranty.

Edited:

The reman is a brand called Remy.

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
Replace the whole starter or this thing will burn up again real fast!

This happened to me and now I know better :thumbsup:

·
1994 5S-FYOU!
1994 Toyota Camry
1,602 Posts
I went ahead and replaced it. As you said the job is super easy. What a pleasant surprise. I replaced it a friend of ours. She only has one car so she needed to have it fixed right away. I wanted to get a Denso but none are available locally. It would have taken at least 3 days to get a Denso even with so called overnight shipping. I used a Mexican reman. starter that cost $123 with tax and came with a lifetime warranty.

Edited:

The reman is a brand called Remy.

Good job! she shouldn't be having starter problems again :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts