Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright. i covered the filter, removed the battery, and covered the alternator.

i sprayed it down with degreaser and left for 15 minutes

i washed it off completely

i waited 30 minutes before trying to start it(also took off the plastic protecting the alternator and intake.

now it doens't start! smoke just poors out the intake! any ideas guys? all the hoses are tight and the starter churns but no dice!

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
you've drowned it. :lol:

Start using that wd40 around ignition area. Sometimes a drying out time helps.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
It'll start eventually. I did the same thing. It sucked but the car was fine after a while.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I have never had that issue, and I just hose the engine bay (avoiding areas like air intake, alternator, etc.)

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
you might need to take the distributer cap off and dry it out,

dry out the intake and make sure no water got in the spark plug tubes.

or if you do nothing it will probably be ok in a few hours

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
i think you ere supposed to turn on the car immediately after you washed it to make burn all the water away before it seeped into anything important.....

and yeah, check the distributor....

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah. the car turns over now but when the hood is closed it runs like crap. i think it is because of fumes in the bay and throttle body.

so i have popped my hood and i am going to let it sit for many hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is why I use a toothbrush.... now THATS love for your car..... :D (even more love cause i only have 1 in the house)

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I just cleaned my engine last week and what I did was I took out the battery, covered the terminals, covered the alternator and covered anything that looked like it'd mess up. Degreased the whole thing. Then hosed her down. Then armor alled the entire thing. she turned over like normal and I let her idle for 20 minutes and watched all the water turn to steam. No real problems.

·
Registered
94 Camry Coupe
399 Posts
Every time I wash my engine bay, I don't cover anything and spray everything. Nothing ever happens. And my car is 10 years old. So I wonder why you have to remove the battery and such nonsense. I have personally never had problems.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
^well, to each his own. And as you can see By UserLains Experience; the "useless nonsense" that some people go through can actually prevent problems.

·
Livers are for wusses
213 Posts
tarzan, lots of people have cars that are 10 years old... and treating your car with ignorance will ensure that your good fortune will end quickly...not taking out the battery is, in my opinion, flat out dangerous. If I remember correctly front chemistry class, water doesn't conduct unless there is salt deposits..but theoreticly... spraying your battery with water, exspecially when salt deposits find their way around it, can not only create a shock hazard.. but maybe make it blow up? anyone got 2 cents?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts