Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Corolla HB
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was one other thread on this, but it sort of turned into changing rims and sizes, so I wanted to post this new.

What tires are people using for winter? I got new rims for the hatch but would like to put winter tires on the stock rims. I have the SE, so it's the 16x7 wheel. Is there a size to fit this rims other than the stock 205/55?

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,581 Posts
I did use my SE's stock rims for winter tires... 205/55-16 is the ideal size that is also the most available and at the greatest price range.

I got some excellent Kapsen AW33 winter tires.

·
Registered
19 Corolla HB
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,630 Posts
I have the Michelin X-Ice 3's on several cars. They are rated higher than the Blizzacks. In fact they've been the top rated winter tire in most every comparison that I've seen.

If you are going to use your OEM wheels than just get 205/55R16 tires and they will work well. I have a set of 205/50R17 because I have 17" wheels on my 2017 Corolla iM.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the Michelin X-Ice 3's on several cars. They are rated higher than the Blizzacks. In fact they've been the top rated winter tire in most every comparison that I've seen.

If you are going to use your OEM wheels than just get 205/55R16 tires and they will work well. I have a set of 205/50R17 because I have 17" wheels on my 2017 Corolla iM.
My first winter set will be 215/45R17. After that, when time comes, I will change them to 205/50R17.

I've had Michelins, Hankooks, Blizzaks, etc for winter tires over the decades. My all time faves were Gislaveds that I had on the IS300. By far the best performing tires on ice and deep snow that I've ever driven on...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Any tire being a compromise, it’s hard to give and take opinions on winter tires as satisfaction will vary according to conditions most encountered (snow, compacted snow, ice, dry, a bit of all). Blizzak, Hakkapeliitta and Gislaved are often on top. On the other hand I’ve had X-Ice that were stellar on compacted snow/ice but were literally afraid of snow and Semperit that were the exact opposite. Right now, I have Toyo Observe GSI-5 that are a bit like Corolla: not champ at anything but quite good at everything… and a bit noisy! Since mine is a LE Eco, I keep the same 15” size on another set of steelies, which is also a great size for snow.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Any tire being a compromise, it’s hard to give and take opinions on winter tires as satisfaction will vary according to conditions most encountered (snow, compacted snow, ice, dry, a bit of all). Blizzak, Hakkapeliitta and Gislaved are often on top. On the other hand I’ve had X-Ice that were stellar on compacted snow/ice but were literally afraid of snow and Semperit that were the exact opposite. Right now, I have Toyo Observe GSI-5 that are a bit like Corolla: not champ at anything but quite good at everything… and a bit noisy! Since mine is a LE Eco, I keep the same 15” size on another set of steelies, which is also a great size for snow.
True that... Where I live (Ontario), we get ice and freezing rain regularly during winter, so when winter tire shopping that is my primary criteria - performance on ice. I have a long commute so this is very important to me...

For wife's RAV4, we have Toyo winter tires, and it does great thanks to its on-damand 4WD and her short daily commute. In our case, I think that RAV4 would be fine on good all-seasons as well. So it is somewhat car dependent too what tires I choose...

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,630 Posts
My first winter set will be 215/45R17. After that, when time comes, I will change them to 205/50R17.

I've had Michelins, Hankooks, Blizzaks, etc for winter tires over the decades. My all time faves were Gislaveds that I had on the IS300. By far the best performing tires on ice and deep snow that I've ever driven on...
True that... Where I live (Ontario), we get ice and freezing rain regularly during winter, so when winter tire shopping that is my primary criteria - performance on ice. I have a long commute so this is very important to me...

For wife's RAV4, we have Toyo winter tires, and it does great thanks to its on-damand 4WD and her short daily commute. In our case, I think that RAV4 would be fine on good all-seasons as well. So it is somewhat car dependent too what tires I choose...
This is why I look at snow tire comparisons that are tested in all conditions. Tirerack has done a great job over the years testing most all winter tires in all conditions. I have a set of Hakkapeliitta on my 17 RAV4 since I wanted to try them. They are nice but don't seem much different than the Michelin X-Ice 3's that I have on other vehicles. I've never seen a comparison where the Blizzacks were rated higher the the X-Ice 3.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
This is why I look at snow tire comparisons that are tested in all conditions. Tirerack has done a great job over the years testing most all winter tires in all conditions. I have a set of Hakkapeliitta on my 17 RAV4 since I wanted to try them. They are nice but don't seem much different than the Michelin X-Ice 3's that I have on other vehicles. I've never seen a comparison where the Blizzacks were rated higher the the X-Ice 3.
I’ve seen quite a few actually. Maybe it’s a local thing (Québec). Anyway, just as for cars, I don’t care much about conclusions and ranks from reviewers, but rather specific test data/comments. Conclusions and ranks reflect priorities of the reviewer, subjectively giving more points to this and less to that, which might not be my case. How many even assess the nuance between winter, snow and ice tires or all-season and all-weather.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,630 Posts
I’ve seen quite a few actually. Maybe it’s a local thing (Québec). Anyway, just as for cars, I don’t care much about conclusions and ranks from reviewers, but rather specific test data/comments. Conclusions and ranks reflect priorities of the reviewer, subjectively giving more points to this and less to that, which might not be my case. How many even assess the nuance between winter, snow and ice tires or all-season and all-weather.
Exactly what I like about the reviews and comparisons on Tirerack. They do very extensive testing and do a good job analyzing what each tire does well and not very well. I've not seen any testing that goes more in depth. That being said I think that several of the top rated winter tires could do the trick for most people. We tend to get freezing rain and snow and the X-Ice 3 is fantastic in this conditions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ive had awesome luck with the general altimax artic. Ran them on past civics just on the front and same on the corolla i had. Never ever had an issue and they were great and usually cheaper then blizzaks and other brands i think thats the name of em. And they are studable to if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,630 Posts
Ive had awesome luck with the general altimax artic. Ran them on past civics just on the front and same on the corolla i had. Never ever had an issue and they were great and usually cheaper then blizzaks and other brands i think thats the name of em. And they are studable to if needed
They are an excellent winter tire.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,630 Posts
There's no need to pay a fortune for good winter tires... For less than half the cost of Blizzak's or Xi3's, my H rated Kapen AW33's outperform in real winter conditions.

https://pmctire.com/en/tires/usage/winter/manufacturer/kapsen-bridgestone-michelin/pneu-dimension-jante/16/pneu-dimension-largeur/205/pneu-dimension-aspect/55/show/100.tire
I've never heard of Kapen. It would be curious to see them in a comparison to other known excellent winter tires. I've always been able to buy my winter tires on sale and got a great buy. When I bought my 205/50R17 X-Ice3's I got them for under $400 mounted and balanced. Not bad for a top rated winter tire. :)

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
5,581 Posts
I've never heard of Kapen. It would be curious to see them in a comparison to other known excellent winter tires. I've always been able to buy my winter tires on sale and got a great buy. When I bought my 205/50R17 X-Ice3's I got them for under $400 mounted and balanced. Not bad for a top rated winter tire. :)
It's actually "Kapsen" like I mentioned in my 1st post... I just can't edit anymore!

The H rated AW33's are pretty fucken awesome indeed. They're also not wearing out nearly as fast as Michelin X-Ice tires I had before.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts